Ich problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought neon tetras at petsmart and put them in my 40 gallon. My tetras had ich about a week later. I bought super ich cure and it didnt work and all my tetras died. Then i bought ich x on amazon and used it. Then in two days of using that my gouramis started to act like they had ich but not on their fins. So im guessing its on their gills and eyes. So its been about 2 weeks and my gouramis have ich still and ive used ich x every 12 hours. Ive even suctioned the gravel and temp is at 84 degrees. How long does ich last? Is this normal? And what else should i do? This ich wont go away.

I will let some other people comment but for now... typically to rid of white spot disease the temperature should be at 86 degrees F. Also if you have a filter cartridge that contains carbon, that will take any medication out of the water. I would personally be doing regular 25% water changes, making sure that there’s no Ammonia in the water and the pH and other levels are normal.
Sucking the gravel is good.
But I think some additional information is needed to fully help. Like, are you changing water, and what are your water test levels?

Yes i change the water twice a week and suck the tank really good. I took out charcoal from the filter and all levels are normal.

I agree...increasing the water temperature to 86F (30 C) for two weeks should kill the ich parasites. Their life cycle takes almost 7 days, and is somewhat temperature driven. Increasing the water temperature speeds up this cycle, but at 86F or higher the ich is actually killed. It is however sometimes the case that one or two may get through this. But two weeks should do it.

Fish that are in good health can fight this off; if this were not so, there would be no fish left anywhere on the planet. So reducing stress as much as possible will allow the fish to gain strength and fight this off should it occur post-treatment. Stress is the direct cause of ich; the pathogen must be present, but it is only when stressed that fish succumb.

Forget all the chemical concoctions that supposedly cure ich. Some may help, but many make things worse...more stress. Any substance added to the tank water gets inside the fish naturally, and this alone is stressful.

Yes i change the water twice a week and suck the tank really good. I took out charcoal from the filter and all levels are normal.
Hmmm, well that is good. I don’t have much else to say, 86 degrees F for 10 days does the trick for me... I’m going to leave this open to the experts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back