Ich? Or something else?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

david.molloy2009

Reaction score
Hi
One of my female platys has developed something on her face which resembles a beard.
I've never noticed it before but am wondering if it may be ich so something to worry about or just a bit of sand.

The photo is not the best but she keeps hiding away.
Her behaviour seems to have changed in the past couple of days so I am also thinking she may be ready to drop.

She has started hiding away under the filter in the back corner and I haven't seen her feed for a little while.

Tank parameters are
pH 7.4
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.25

Done a 25% water change today too.

20210409_174147.jpg

I will try and get a better picture

Thanks in advance for any info/advice

Attachments

• 20210409_185451.jpg
    20210409_185451.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210409_185423.jpg
    20210409_185423.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210409_174530.jpg
    20210409_174530.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 32
It's not ich, but keep an eye on her and see if the discoloured patch changes (texture, shape, size etc.). If it does, it's more likely to be some kind of fungal infection. If not, and her behaviour is normal, there's probably nothing to worry about. Try to get the ammonia down to 0.

Have you tested your tap water? Maybe that's where the problem is. Or there is an issue with the cycle. Or overstocking. How long have you had the tank, and how big is it? Anything above 0ppm ammonia is dangerous, especially with a pH above 7 (higher pH increases the amount of toxic free ammonia in the water). Seachem ammonia alerts measure toxic ammonia levels, might be helpful if your tank has a problem with it. It's quicker and easier to use than liquid tests, although probably not as accurate ? Maybe add some fast growing live-plants (floaters, hornwort, etc.) to act as nitrogen sinks?

Have you tested your tap water? Maybe that's where the problem is. Or there is an issue with the cycle. Or overstocking. How long have you had the tank, and how big is it? Anything above 0ppm ammonia is dangerous, especially with a pH above 7 (higher pH increases the amount of toxic free ammonia in the water). Seachem ammonia alerts measure toxic ammonia levels, might be helpful if your tank has a problem with it. It's quicker and easier to use than liquid tests, although probably not as accurate ? Maybe add some fast growing live-plants (floaters, hornwort, etc.) to act as nitrogen sinks?
It's a 65ltr tank. I've had it for about 3 weeks but bought it stocked and running
Previous tank (which I out grew) never got to 0 either.

Might be the tap water then. Or the cycle crashed when the tank was moved, difficult to say. But I'd test the tap water if I were you. If it has ammonia, you can try using RO water to do your weekly water changes.

Reverse osmosis. It contains no minerals, nutrients etc. (sort of like distilled water). But in that case you may have to artificially re-mineralize it, as neither fish nor plants can live in demineralized water. You can use 50/50 tap and RO to do water changes at first and see how it goes. I can't help you too much here as I don't use it myself, but if your tap water is toxic it might be worth looking into.

Most reactions

trending

Back