April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have merged two threads as they had the same first post. Unfortunately this makes the replies a bit disjointed, but I wanted to have all the replies together in the same thread.

A 150 watt heater might not be powerful enough for a 200 litre tank. I would look at a 200 or 300 watt heater.

If you find the heaters can't keep the water at 86F, insulate the outside of the tank with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets. Just tape them to the outside on the back and sides.

Have a cover glass on the tank too. Get coverglass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick. The thicker glass is less likely to chip or crack, and coverglass do a great job at trapping heat in the tank.

--------------------
Depending on what the water temperature is, I would try to get it up to 86F asap. If it's normally around 80F, just take it up to 86F in 1 day.

If you are using heat to treat white spot, you don't add chemicals or salt. Just let the heat do the job.

I have merged two threads as they had the same first post. Unfortunately this makes the replies a bit disjointed, but I wanted to have all the replies together in the same thread.
That's great, I couldn't figure out how to delete one as I accidentally posted it twice.?

A 150 watt heater might not be powerful enough for a 200 litre tank. I would look at a 200 or 300 watt heater.

If you find the heaters can't keep the water at 86F, insulate the outside of the tank with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets. Just tape them to the outside on the back and sides.

Have a cover glass on the tank too. Get coverglass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick. The thicker glass is less likely to chip or crack, and coverglass do a great job at trapping heat in the tank.

--------------------
Depending on what the water temperature is, I would try to get it up to 86F asap. If it's normally around 80F, just take it up to 86F in 1 day.

If you are using heat to treat white spot, you don't add chemicals or salt. Just let the heat do the job.

Alright, (again, thank you for the help) I'll bump it up to 86° today, I'm really hopeful that it will go to 86° but if it doesn't I'll try what you said (worst things worst I'll try to get ahold of an even better heater).

Hello, this is just an update, so far all of the spots on the fish are gone (I ended up getting a 200w heater) and the temperature went up to 84 degrees. I'm going to leave the temp. high for at least 5 more days and hope that I am through with the outbreak of ich and that it doesn't appear again. because of your help, all my fish survived with the exception of one of my original angelfish and a small group of neon tetras. Thank you for the great advice, I really appreciate it!

Did the water temperature get to 86F?
If not, you might not have killed the parasites.

The white spot parasites drop off the fish after a few days and sit in the gravel multiplying inside the white cyst. After a few days of dividing the cysts open and release hundreds of new parasites that infect the fish.

I was only able to get it up to 84-85 degrees, but it has been exactly a week and so far so good, I'm going to keep the temperature up for about another week and fingers crossed it kills the white spot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back