Ich cleaning

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishyFish888

Reaction score
So my tank recently had an ich outbreak. I took out all the fish, and left it running for about 5 days at 80F. I noticed that there were many ich cysts inside the tank so I emptied it out and it’s been dry for a day now. When would you say I could re cycle my tank?

How are you going to recycle it? If you intend a fishless cycle, you can start now as the parasite dies off if there are no fish to infect.

What did you do with the fish? If you've moved them elsewhere, they'll have taken the parasite with them.

How are you going to recycle it? If you intend a fishless cycle, you can start now as the parasite dies off if there are no fish to infect.

What did you do with the fish? If you've moved them elsewhere, they'll have taken the parasite with them.
This was my QT tank, so I’m taking media from my main to re cycle it. I had a 3gal planted I put the last two fish in but they died, so I am in the process of drying that one out too.

I would either leave the tank dry for a few days or refill and just leave it to run for a few days. As it's a quarantine tank, you don't need to move fish back into it straight away. I'd be inclined to just leave it to run for a few days then transfer the media across when you want to use it.
But if you want to add ammonia to make sure there are enough bacteria in the transferred media, do that straight away as in this case the tank won't be ready for new fish until you are certain the QT is cycled.

Whichever you do, it's keeping the tank fish free for several days that's the important bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back