FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AcidCookie

Reaction score
So, I'm super new to this. Some how I got roped into getting a fish tank -per my husband- for our 3 year old. (facepalm emoji) Yup. I was all set to get a Betta and a 2.5-5 gallon tank. The prices for these small tanks we're almost as much as for the tank 'we' settled on.

a 13 gallon "wide-screen" glass tank. 24" wide x 10"deep x 18" high (about 50L). Aqueon 20 pump. Heater.

It's currently going through a fishless cycle. Ive been doing research, like...6 hrs a day reading things, for the last 4 days wondering what I got myself into.

I think I've narrowed my fish down to:
1 Dwarf Gourami
5 CP Danios
6 Salt&Peppered Corys
4 cherry shrimp

-According to AqAdvisor Im only at 64% stocked, but that doesn't seem right? Could I add another group in there, but if yes, then where? can you have multiple middle layer dwellers?

-Will my Dwarf Gourami eat the shrimp fry that might be produced? (I'm looking for something that will because I don't really want to end up with 100 shrimp)

-Is there a different main fish/ or top dweller I should have instead of a gourami?

(other fish I was/am considering: Cherry or Gold Barbs, Dwarf Rasboras, Guppies or Platies, Endlers, and Apistos - not in any particular order)

This will be a planted tank.

TIA! Any direction will be appreciated. Im the type to just keep over thinking and never pull the trigger.

So, I'm super new to this. Some how I got roped into getting a fish tank -per my husband- for our 3 year old. (facepalm emoji) Yup. I was all set to get a Betta and a 2.5-5 gallon tank. The prices for these small tanks we're almost as much as for the tank 'we' settled on.

a 13 gallon "wide-screen" glass tank. 24" wide x 10"deep x 18" high (about 50L). Aqueon 20 pump. Heater.

It's currently going through a fishless cycle. Ive been doing research, like...6 hrs a day reading things, for the last 4 days wondering what I got myself into.

I think I've narrowed my fish down to:
1 Dwarf Gourami
5 CP Danios
6 Salt&Peppered Corys
4 cherry shrimp

-According to AqAdvisor Im only at 64% stocked, but that doesn't seem right? Could I add another group in there, but if yes, then where? can you have multiple middle layer dwellers?

-Will my Dwarf Gourami eat the shrimp fry that might be produced? (I'm looking for something that will because I don't really want to end up with 100 shrimp)

-Is there a different main fish/ or top dweller I should have instead of a gourami?

(other fish I was/am considering: Cherry or Gold Barbs, Dwarf Rasboras, Guppies or Platies, Endlers, and Apistos - not in any particular order)

This will be a planted tank.

TIA! Any direction will be appreciated. Im the type to just keep over thinking and never pull the trigger.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Most of us here like to know the GH of your water supply, before recommending fish.

This information can be found through your local water supplier. Alternatively, if you have a water testing kit at home you can test for this yourself.

This is because some fish prefer to live in harder water and require a higher PH. Whilst others prefer more softer water.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Im waiting for my master kit to arrive, but the water is more on the softer side according to the municipal water provider. That was my other concern, was if my water will be too soft for some of these guys. I did read about the Equilibrium by Seachem and depending on how soft the water is, if it effects my pH, then I'll probably have to dose with that.

Amazon should be delivering my kit today, so I'll post the numbers when I get them!

You’ll need to order a separate test kit for GH/KH. I believe API, the maker of the master test kit also carries the others. Around 10 bucks. It will measure both GH and KH. You’ll be surprised at the supplies you’ll end up with. Fish keeping is not cheap but very rewarding. Lol

Welcome to TFF, and the hobby. A few things here.

First, before wasting money on a GH/KH test kit you may only use the once...find the website of your municipal water authority and check the data. It may have the GH (as general or total hardness) posted. Also the pH and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) are useful, but GH is the one you want. GH is not going to alter much in an aquarium so knowing the source water GH will let you select suitable fish.

Second, forget the dwarf gourami. Not only does this species still carry the risk of incurable disease, it is not really suited to a small tank with other fish. You will be better with what we term "nano" fish, small-sized species, but first let's pin down the GH as most of these fish will be wild caught and require attention to parameters.

It is better for the fish and much easier on the aquarist if you do not have to fuss over preparing water. Water changes are much simpler, and you save all that money.

Celestial Pearl Danio was mentioned. This species is best in a larger group, 9-12, on its own. Cories would be OK, but no other upper fish. But let's pin down the GH and pH first.

BTW, when testing pH of tap water, you must out-gas the CO2 first; this can be done by very briskly agitating the water for several minutes, or by letting it sit for 24 hours before testing. This is not needed when testing tank water.

Amazon delivered!

Tank water:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0-0.5
pH: 7.0
KH: btwn 0-40 (not really zero color but not really 40 color)
GH: 0

Tap:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0.5-1
pH: 7.0
KH: btwn 0-40 (not really zero color but not really 40 color)
GH: 0

Thanks for all the welcomes, and I appreciate the time y'all are taking to help.

I don't agree with Byron. I suggest you should get dwarf gourami.they may get incurable disease but they are happy and long living fish.i have kept two of them in a pot for temporary home finding

I don't agree with Byron. I suggest you should get dwarf gourami.they may get incurable disease but they are happy and long living fish.i have kept two of them in a pot for temporary home finding

Í stopped buying those a few years ago as they always died too quickly, simply didn't cope after bring removed from the LFS which I found out was using a feed that contained antibiotics!

I have also had dwarf gouramis die too quickly. Although beautiful, IMO they are not beginner fish.
You have lots of other awesome fish on your wish list, I am sure that you will enjoy them.

I am going to have to agree. Gouramis are pretty sensitive fish and are not great for beginners. I would suggest getting some hardier fish like more danios, some tetras, or maybe some live bearers.
Good luck!

Same here.. my dwarf gouami died within 3 months of buying it..looked healthy and colorful but died too soon

I would add Cherry Barbs - very laid back fish, and/or the Raspboras - also laid back but they'll keep up with the Danio's. Gourami should be kept in pairs - they're pretty shy. I have 2 powder blue Gourami's and 2 Red &Blue Gourami's - the Powder Blue ones are strikingly beautiful and they watch me constantly - I feel like we have conversations between the glass. I just got the Gourami's - didn't realize they were so short lived - right now they look super healthy. The only issue is that even though they are supposed to be dwarf or their max size is 2-3" - they look HUGE compared to all the other fish in the tank. All of the fish EXCEPT the Gourami's and Cory's are very picky eaters - but eventually they do eat. I have bloodworms soaked in vitamins, general flakes (nobody seems to like them much), some micropellets - and some sinking wafers. The Gourami's and Cory's are all eating off the ground so they are cleaning up all leftovers. The only thing I can tell the others are eating are bloodworms and sometimes the micropellets (they are very small fish). As far as numbers for the schooling fishes - I ignore the "10 or more" and go with five. They all seem just fine with that - especially since there are no aggressive fish in my tank. I love to watch the Danio's swim about a million miles an hour all in a tight school. Sometimes the Cherry barbs actually join in but they can't keep up (actually I think they find the danio's a little annoying). The Gourmi's are VERY slow moving fish and kind of pick on each other (nothing serious) but they leave all my other fish alone.

I too have Cherry barbs and danios. I agree that the Cherry barbs are laid back. The danios are funny to watch. They’re like little boys looking for trouble to get into. Lol!

I have cherry barbs too. They are such great little fish! They're really peaceful and I love to watch them swimming around all happily in their tank looking for things to eat.
After I feed all the fish, the cherry barbs always go to the bottom and hunt for any food that might have floated down there. If they find a pellet in the gravel, they push their heads into the pebbles to get at it. :lol:
They are extremely smart and they are pretty easy to care for too.
Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back