I want to separate my guppy fry and adult guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guppylover:)

Reaction score
My guppy just had babies and I was not prepared for this (I wasn't planning on getting females but here we are) I need an idea of what I need to do to separate the fish. I don't have an extra tank with all of the needed supplies. Is there anything I need to do or get and any tips on raising and selling guppy fry?

Edit: I currently have 14 fry in the community tank. Also, us there anything about the nitrogen cycle I should be worrying about if I transfer the fry to a new tank?

Last edited:
How many adults do you have? If only a few, you could buy a gallon glass container at Walmart for like $5 & remove them temporarily.

Never raised guppies. I have seven males.

Are the adults eating them?

I bought 5 guppies on eBay. Most of cost was in shipping. Bags inside a tiny styrofoam cooler inside a well padded box. 1-2 day shipping, They are pretty boys.

My guppy just had babies and I was not prepared for this (I wasn't planning on getting females but here we are) I need an idea of what I need to do to separate the fish. I don't have an extra tank with all of the needed supplies. Is there anything I need to do or get and any tips on raising and selling guppy fry?
Look on Amazon for 'Breeding container', or 'Spawning container' or 'Fish net breeder'.

How many adults do you have? If only a few, you could buy a gallon glass container at Walmart for like $5 & remove them temporarily.

Never raised guppies. I have seven males.

Are the adults eating them?

I bought 5 guppies on eBay. Most of cost was in shipping. Bags inside a tiny styrofoam cooler inside a well padded box. 1-2 day shipping, They are pretty boys.
Okay, I have 6 females in the tank. I didn't get any males because I didn't want babies, but I didn't think that they could already be pregnant. The adults ate like 3 and I have 14 babies. Should I get a filter heater ect? And if I have any more questions I'll ask.

Okay, I have 6 females in the tank. I didn't get any males because I didn't want babies, but I didn't think that they could already be pregnant. The adults ate like 3 and I have 14 babies. Should I get a filter heater ect? And if I have any more questions I'll ask.
Look on Amazon for 'Breeding container', or 'Spawning container' or 'Fish net breeder'.

When my children were in elementary school, they were not fans of me leaving the live bearers’ babies in the regular tank. So my friend the nurse brought me a huge like turkey baster syringe and I put all the about to pop females in little nursery nets that hung on the inside of the tank with gravel and plants where the babies could hide. Then I removed the adult female and sucked the babies up and deposited them in a breeder tank. As a result, I had a population explosion of mollies, plates, swordtails, and guppies. These guppies I recently rescued are very reproductively active but I don’t take extra care to separate the babies. Many hide out in the plants and other decor and they survive.

*etc.

I keep my guppies at room temp. No heater. just a filter. Don‘t know about raising fry. I would google & look at YouTube videos.

ok i havent read all the ohter responses so idk if this is repeated
if you are very desperate and need it instantly, there are some things you can do:
get a clear or translucent milk thingy and poke TINY holes in it with a nail or something (smaller than fry)
pretty sure it can float on its own, if it cannot, attatch some bubbly stuff to it to keep it afloat

i reccomend putting the babies in the one gallon container instead of the adults... just me

Most reactions

trending

Back