I want to keep a couple neon tetras in a jar will the survive or not

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

El chapo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It is a quart Mason jar with a bubbler rigged through the lid and will have gravel in the bottom will 2 neon tetras be able to survive in it

No, it's far too small; there wouldn't be enough water, there's not enough room for the fish to swim properly, and neon tetras need to be kept in groups.

There are no fish that can be kept in jars. Some shops keep fish like bettas (Siamese fighting fish) in small jars, but they have proper filters, and the fish are only in them for a short time.

If your jar is big enough, and you have a lot of live plants, it might be suitable for some shrimps, but not for any fish, I'm afraid.

No, it's far too small; there wouldn't be enough water, there's not enough room for the fish to swim properly, and neon tetras need to be kept in groups.

There are no fish that can be kept in jars. Some shops keep fish like bettas (Siamese fighting fish) in small jars, but they have proper filters, and the fish are only in them for a short time.

If your jar is big enough, and you have a lot of live plants, it might be suitable for some shrimps, but not for any fish, I'm afraid.
How long would a pictus catfish survive in the jar

There are no fish or shrimp that can be kept in jars for any length of time, ok some like male Bettas can but it requires a LOT of work.

The minimum tank size for the Pictus Catfish is around 50 Gallons and they should be kept in groups of at least 5, preferably more.

Last edited:
There are no fish or shrimp that can be kept in jars for any length of time, ok some like male Bettas can but it requires a LOT of work.

The minimum tank size for the Pictus Catfish is around 50 Gallons and they should be kept in groups of at least 5, preferably more.
I'm not keeping it in there permanately Im keeping it in the jar to be used in a presentation in school the max amount of time I plan on it being in the jar is 5 hours will it make it that long

I'm not keeping it in there permanately Im keeping it in the jar to be used in a presentation in school the max amount of time I plan on it being in the jar is 5 hours will it make it that long

I would not recommend this. While a fish may "survive" it is highly stressful to say the least (and stress weakens fish seriously) and the fish might well develop some internal problems that will not rectify. I understand the reason here, but to be honest this is cruel to a fish. Bringing fish home from the store in bags of water is bad enough, but only temporary. And shipping fish is different again, because the water is treated, and the fish is in darkness.

Fish are very different from all other animals because of their unique and complex relationship with the water they live in.

Pretty much every fish will eat anything that will fit in its mouth.

I don't want to sound harsh but, despite what some people think, fish (and invertebrates like shrimps) can feel pain, and can suffer.

If you want to keep fish, or do a presentation for school, give us some idea of what it is you want to achieve and we can help you, but you can't just put random animals together in random containers if you want them to stay alive, be healthy, and be able to behave naturally :)

I would not recommend this. While a fish may "survive" it is highly stressful to say the least (and stress weakens fish seriously) and the fish might well develop some internal problems that will not rectify. I understand the reason here, but to be honest this is cruel to a fish. Bringing fish home from the store in bags of water is bad enough, but only temporary. And shipping fish is different again, because the water is treated, and the fish is in darkness.

Fish are very different from all other animals because of their unique and complex relationship with the water they live in.
Would it be a bad idea to mix cherry shrimp with a 10 inch fourline cat

Shrimp are a part of their diet.

It is a quart Mason jar with a bubbler rigged through the lid and will have gravel in the bottom will 2 neon tetras be able to survive in it

No living creature could survive in A mason jar. None. Not a fish, not a snail, not a bug. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back