I want some shoaling fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Iv decided definitely no more cichlids at the moment not gonna have a pleco I want some movement in the tank I have my Colombian tetra .. love them thinking of maybe just boosting there numbers but the have an established hierarchy and I only have access to buy juveniles so not sure about adding to them I want more schooling fish per say my Gh is around 110ppm so keeping South American just after something that is intresting fits the continent and won’t get eaten ( they will live with a severum )

How about some thicker bodied tetras like some black/white skirts. A mix of both colour forms would look cool:cool:

How about some thicker bodied tetras like some black/white skirts. A mix of both colour forms would look cool:cool:
Would they not be demolished by the Colombian tetra? I only have access to juveniles so an inch if I’m lucky , I’m not too worried about my cichlids they get easier meals and don’t really bother with small fish

How big is the tank in question?

Colombian and black skirts are very common tank mates as both are quite robust for tetra's. I understand your worries with the new fish being juveniles tho.

No way of attaining them from a breeder bigger or online? Could put them in a grow out tank for a while if that is possible for you

What about some Hemiodus Tetras couple of species around now. They are a long slender fish that get to about 3 inches and stay in the upper third. One of the species gets a red stripe towards the tail nice looking fish.

Wharf Aquatics have got these in stock at the moment https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/kyburz-tetra-pseudochalceus-kyburzi/ Interesting looking tetra, neon/glowlight sort of shape but over 3 inches at adult size. Apparantly can be a bit nippy though so get a bit school. Video on Wharfs facebook page :)

Have you thought about a good group of headstanders? Any would work, spotted, marbled, ternetzi or if you can find them any of the rarer species? I'd avoid Leporinus though as they are meant to be a bit more problematic than the other species.

Wills

How big is the tank in question?

Colombian and black skirts are very common tank mates as both are quite robust for tetra's. I understand your worries with the new fish being juveniles tho.

No way of attaining them from a breeder bigger or online? Could put them in a grow out tank for a while if that is possible for you
5ft 500l kept with mixed South American cichlids and corys my first choice would of been a group of silver dollars but I don’t have the space really , I could probably get some adults from somewhere
What about some Hemiodus Tetras couple of species around now. They are a long slender fish that get to about 3 inches and stay in the upper third. One of the species gets a red stripe towards the tail nice looking fish.

Wharf Aquatics have got these in stock at the moment https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/kyburz-tetra-pseudochalceus-kyburzi/ Interesting looking tetra, neon/glowlight sort of shape but over 3 inches at adult size. Apparantly can be a bit nippy though so get a bit school. Video on Wharfs facebook page :)

Have you thought about a good group of headstanders? Any would work, spotted, marbled, ternetzi or if you can find them any of the rarer species? I'd avoid Leporinus though as they are meant to be a bit more problematic than the other species.

Wills
il have a look at headstanders I’m not familiar with them to be honest , I have just sold the last of my electric blue acara juveniles apart from one and rehoming my geo tomorrow to a chap who has a single species geo tank , I’m thinking after I rehome one of my Sevs which will be soon I’m thinking il have a fairly light stocking and possibly have room for a group of silver dollars ,... again lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back