I want panda fry. 🐟 Tips on spawning!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Heather7465

Reaction score
I have 10 panda corydoras in my aquarium for 9 months. They were at least 3-6 months old when purchased. They were small, but not young fry when purchased. So I'd be guessing they are at least a year old. Which is old enough to be breeding ready for the panda cory species. I have one male showing the "dancing" mating behavior by flashing his fins, chasing a female, and pushing onto the barbel area of her face. Female shows no interest in breeding though? She will frantically swim away and hide. She's not gravid appearing. Is that why? Is she not ready because of her age or is my water parameters off to entice spawning?
~Weekly water change. Every Sunday 20-50% depending on plant debris & api readings
~ During water change, I use cooler fresh water to mimic rainy season. Temp usually sits at 77.4°
~Ammonia 0ppm ~ Nitrite 0ppm ~Nitrate under 5.0 ppm ~~~Ph from tap faucet is 7.0 but in aquarium it jumps to Ph 8.0-8.2 (no clue why? Maybe my decorations or substrate)
Advice, tips, or help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210621_220359.jpg
    20210621_220359.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 63
I think your pH may be to high to get them to spawn they like acid water. The best trigger for all catfish is early morning sun strike on the tank if it is possible.

I think your pH may be to high to get them to spawn they like acid water. The best trigger for all catfish is early morning sun strike on the tank if it is possible.
Two weeks after I posted this question They spawned. She layed six eggs over a two day period and four of those were fertile.
I did everything people suggested to increase chances for spawning. Colder water changes, high protein diet, & ect. I did set up my Fluval lighting on a daily timer & I added more plants so they felt safe. I'm assuming a combination of all of this helped to trigger spawning.

How often are you feeding them?
To bring fish into breeding condition you want to feed them 3-5 times a day and give them as much food as they can eat during each feed. remove uneaten food after feeding.

The extra food lets them build up some body fat and they develop healthier and stronger gametes (eggs & sperm) when fed well for a couple of weeks before breeding.

You can do more frequent water changes and bigger water changes while feeding more often. This helps keep the tank clean and also simulates the wet season. My Cories used to spawn after I did 3 or 4 water changes (one a day) using slightly cooler water. I did 75-90% water changes and gravel cleans and within a few days of doing this, the catfish would breed.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most Corydoras don't breed until they are in their second year. If they do breed earlier they don't produce as many eggs as older bigger females.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back