I want it

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
By now many know Iā€™m an impulse buyer and canā€™t help it .. Guy see Guy want itā€™s a disaster waiting to happen but keep fish keeping interesting lol I want a puffer fish ... only a small one maybe a pea..
reasons ... well itā€™s a puffer lol
My current stock in an established 5ft 500l
8x Colombian Redfin tetra
8x bronze corydora
2x geophagus dicrozoster (used to be 4)
2x keyhole cichlids
Breeding pair of electric blue acara
2x juveniles green severum (soon to be 1)
And a foot long sailfin pleco
My mind is telling me do it ..
but I want some reason hence you guys lol

No oscar this time, hopefully they last longer LOL..
Yeah that thing has gone ahah
I asked the man the other day if he still had it ... itā€™s 12inchs long now and living with a jag and a Midas as it was destroying his green terror and Jack Dempsey . Hate to say it but Iā€™m glad I re honed that fish ahahah but would a small puffer work ... in your opinion with my current stock

I'm afraid the pea would become a snack, then puff, it's gone :-(

Yeah that thing has gone ahah
I asked the man the other day if he still had it ... itā€™s 12inchs long now and living with a jag and a Midas as it was destroying his green terror and Jack Dempsey . Hate to say it but Iā€™m glad I re honed that fish ahahah but would a small puffer work ... in your opinion with my current stock
Those things grow fast huh. I think a pea puffer would be a nice snack. I just saw slaphppy beat me to it . I'd let things settle before adding anything else.

I'm afraid the pea would become a snack, then puff, it's gone :-(
Any puffers recommendations? I only said pea because I know they can be rowdy and donā€™t want it coming in n being a ahole lol

I was under the impression that the larger puffers needed brackish water, for some reason...but never kept them, so never researched them...

I was also looking at colomesus asellus , Amazon puffer common name I think but grows almost 6inch

I was also looking at colomesus asellus , Amazon puffer common name I think but grows almost 6inch
From seriouslyfish.com:
Not aggressive as such but unsuitable for the general community aquarium, and best-maintained alone or in a larger set-up with other fluvial fishes.

This species naturally forms loose aggregations and can behave nervously in the absence of conspecifics. Ideally a group of 6 or more should be purchased.

The two that would be viable are the South American Puffer and the Schoudenti Puffer but not with your current fish. Its an either or situation and puffers are not to be messed around with as they have beaks rather than teeth so if things get nippy they get bad real quick.

Both species are fully freshwater, both get to about 6 inches and both are gregarious bordering on schooling fish so should be kept in as big a group as possible. I prefer the Schoudenti over the SAPs as their teeth dont grow as fast where as with SAPs you basically have to accept you are probably going to have to do some dentistry at some point.

As well as the dwarf puffs you mentioned there are a few species called red eye puffers, the easiest to keep is the red eye red tail but as above tank needs to be based around them rather than adding them to a set up. But because they are smaller a second tank is easier to accommodate them in :)

Wills

The two that would be viable are the South American Puffer and the Schoudenti Puffer but not with your current fish. Its an either or situation and puffers are not to be messed around with as they have beaks rather than teeth so if things get nippy they get bad real quick.

Both species are fully freshwater, both get to about 6 inches and both are gregarious bordering on schooling fish so should be kept in as big a group as possible. I prefer the Schoudenti over the SAPs as their teeth dont grow as fast where as with SAPs you basically have to accept you are probably going to have to do some dentistry at some point.

As well as the dwarf puffs you mentioned there are a few species called red eye puffers, the easiest to keep is the red eye red tail but as above tank needs to be based around them rather than adding them to a set up. But because they are smaller a second tank is easier to accommodate them in :)

Wills
Always good info wills

You need to get a fish room/house :)
I know but my partner is so ... anti joy ahahaha she honestly sees my tank as a waste of space in the front room lol but I say i pay for it if I have fish ? wanna see them lol and itā€™s a vicious cycle ahahah happy wife happy life

Any puffers recommendations? I only said pea because I know they can be rowdy and donā€™t want it coming in n being a ahole lol
Puffer fish should not be kept in community tanks because most are fin nippers. And if the puffer gets stressed out, it will release poison into the water and kill everything in the tank.

Puffer fish should be kept in a single species tank only.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back