I Want A MONSTER Fish In My 180???

Slimy Fish

Reaction score
Leaning towards a Tiger Shovelnose??? One question? Will he eat my Thirty Year Old Placo???? I did a Silver Arowana!! At 26 inches, TOO TEMPERAMENTAL!!!

Attachments

• DSC_6571.JPG
    DSC_6571.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 35
Your tank is majorly overstocked. Definetly donā€™t add anything
Old picture? The Arawana is Sold! Now Just Locally Caught Fish, Food For the Shovelnose!!! Two Stunted Bala Sharks, A deformed Raphel Cat and Two VERY OLD PLACOS!!! WILL A SHOVELNOSE EAT MY PLACOS???? OK? I've Got another question??? Will copper wire in the tank turn TOXIC????

Something in the region of 12ā€² x 8ā€² x 4ā€² (360cm x 240cm x 120cm) ā€“ 10,368 litres would be needed for a fully-grown fish. Even this wouldnā€™t give it enough space to cruise around as it would in the wild.
10,368 liters = 2,739 gallons

Strictly speaking, decor isnā€™t necessary for a tank containing an adult, provided the lighting is fairly dim. You can however add some large chunks of bogwood, beech branches or smooth rocks if you wish. Ensure that any such furnishings are too heavy to be moved around or secured to the tank in some way, and that thereā€™s plenty of open swimming space. Juveniles enjoy hiding places in the form of bogwood, tangles of roots and branches, rock piles or lengths of plastic piping of a suitable bore.

Choice of substrate can be an issue, as most grades of gravel can either be swallowed or become caught in the delicate gills. Sand is ok, but donā€™t expect it to stay in one place. A layer of large, smooth pebbles is a better option. Alternatively you could leave the substrate out altogether, which would certainly make cleaning the tank an easier task.

A large and efficient biological filter is needed to cope with the amounts of waste produced by a fish of this size. If possible choose a sumpā€“type arrangement, as this allows most of the equipment to be located outside the tank. A large specimen can easily destroy glass heaterstats, thermometers etc.

Will eat anything that isn't big enough to avoid being on the menu. Not recommended for the home aquarium.

Suggested TankmatesVery large characins and cichlids. Pacu are the safest option.

You like to SHOUT!

A tiger shovelnose will eventually consider trying to eat you. Forget the plecos. It's a piscivore.

Everything in the tank would be doomed. But if you're seriously looking into this fish, you know that already. It's basic info with the fish.

An adult would actually not even be able to move in your tank. The usual thing people say here is that they will buy a tank large enough when it gets there, but very few people can, and the fish dies young. That's the usual monster fish saga. I've seen people do well with larger fish, but they have enormous tanks to let the fish be active, and tend to have budgets bigger than the tanks they need.

Copper won't turn toxic. It already is.

Yea there is some lady building a 3000 gallon tank for her 20 year old pacu...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back