I want a centerpiece or a pair, any suggestions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ch0le

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 20 gal high and I need a little help. I currently have 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 4 Emerald Corys. I've been trying to figure out a pretty pair or a pretty centerpiece fish to complete my tank. I've read so many things about so many possibilities and now I'm completely overwhelmed. Thanks for reading this. I appreciate any suggestions.

Most of us here would like to know your source water parameters, primarily the GH (general or total hardness) and pH of your tap water. Some species have preferences so it helps to know what we are dealing with beforehand.

Moving ahead from the above for the moment, I would suggest that with Bleeding Heart Tetras, they will be your centrepiece. This is not a small tetra, and usually attains over 2 inches, often 3 inches, with some reporting 3.5 inches. You have the necessary shoal, so I would work around these fish as the centrepiece.

One or two more cories (same species) would be a good idea though. Beyond that you might consider some surface fish, as the BH tend to remain mid/mid-lower level. I'd like to know those params before moving forward.

Thank you for your quick response. My waters GH is 30, KH is 40. My PH is 7.0. As of now I have 0 amonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I do have driftwood and a lot of live plants. I am really appreciative of your help. Thanks again.

Thank you for your quick response. My waters GH is 30, KH is 40. My PH is 7.0. As of now I have 0 amonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I do have driftwood and a lot of live plants. I am really appreciative of your help. Thanks again.

you're welcome. You have soft water, so fish so far are fine, just avoid any species requiring moderately hard or harder water (example, all livebearers). I would say you are full with what you have, but two more cories would be fine and they will appreciate it! :fish:

I forgot previously...welcome to TFF. :hi:

Awesome! And thank you. Sometimes I forget that they will be bigger at some point. What kind of fish do you have?

Awesome! And thank you. Sometimes I forget that they will be bigger at some point. What kind of fish do you have?

Small ones! I had a group of Bleeding Hearts a few years back, and I have had most of the commonly available tetras at least once, and some more rare species imported directly to the store. Lots of corydoras cats. Dwarf loaches, rasboras. Pencilfish and hatchetfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back