i thought I was done! What the..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mollyforever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My new 20 gallon tank has been cycling since the beginning of September and according to the fishless cycle guide I was almost near the end. Two days ago i dosed ammonia the full amount, and saw the ammonia and nitrite fall to 0 in 24 hrs. Nitrate was under 10, pH 8 and KH and GH both around 200ppm. So I did a 25% water change and decided to give the tank a snack ammonia while I get the fish prepared. i put a third of regular dose last night and I end up with 0 ammonia and 0.5 nitrite..

Can anyone tell me what i did wrong…was my tank not fully cycled? Or I shouldn’t have done the water change or the snack dose?

Well it's only been like 4 weeks - so maybe it was mistake when you thought was cycled. Or maybe there was just a mistake with the nitrite test. Maybe try with a full dose again just to make sure. Even if that 0.5 is correct it means you are nearly there either way.

Well it's only been like 4 weeks - so maybe it was mistake when you thought was cycled. Or maybe there was just a mistake with the nitrite test. Maybe try with a full dose again just to make sure. Even if that 0.5 is correct it means you are nearly there either way.
Okay so I will wait until nitrite goes 0 and then dose again to double check… no water changes i guess

just remember to change out all the water once you have proven you are cycled

just remember to change out all the water once you have proven you are cycled
Okay so add full ammonia and if ammonia and nitrite is 0, do 100% water change?
What was wrong with the 25% water change when I dosed full ammonia and levels dropped to 0? Im scared that a 100 percent water change would cause issues like a second cycle….

Okay so add full ammonia and if ammonia and nitrite is 0, do 100% water change?
What was wrong with the 25% water change when I dosed full ammonia and levels dropped to 0? Im scared that a 100 percent water change would cause issues like a second cycle….
i had toxic ammonia to. I just did 3, 60% water changes at once. That worked well.

If u add full dose of ammonia and after 24 hrs ammonia and nitrites read 0 then you are cycled. You then change 100% of the water to remove the nitrates. The bb does not exist in the water.. its in the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back