FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I think one of the neon tetras had eggs!

I was gone from the house for about 2 days, which means no food for the fish. When I got back, one of the females had a huge belly. It couldn’t be that she had to much food, because she hadn’t been fed for a while.

(The tank was dark for the 2 days, only natural light. Neons breed in the dark, so it makes sense.)

Whenever I come close to the tank, she swims amongst the Java Moss, I think she may have a nest there.

Thoughts?

(No pictures)

It is likely that she is gravid, and could be looking to spawn. But they shouldn't actually have laid them yet. She wouldn't be big if that was the case. And they aren't nesters and don't display parental care, if they had laid eggs they would have been eaten pretty quickly with the adults still in there.

They scatter their eggs while mating, if the eggs fall some place where they are hard to get to, you may see a fry in 4 days or longs but it is very rare. I put plastic fry grass in my tetra tank hoping that some eggs fall there where they will be somewhat protected.

So... they probably won’t survive?

They scatter their eggs while mating, if the eggs fall some place where they are hard to get to, you may see a fry in 4 days or longs but it is very rare. I put plastic fry grass in my tetra tank hoping that some eggs fall there where they will be somewhat protected.
I do have a lot of java moss in the tank, along with Anacharis, and other live plants.

When I was lucky and had all those red eyed tetra fry show up in my tetra tank I had made "nest" using java moss. I also had several moss balls which is where I usually saw new fry but the big thing was I had my LOTR castle with all of it's hiding places in the tetra tank and a lot of floating hornwort that the fry would later hide in.I have not had any luck with my sunken forest set up since I put it in my tetra tank. :( I wish you the best of luck and post some pictures if your lucky enough to have tetra fry.

Last edited:
Thanks! I really hope I get some.

The runt in the group passed a few days ago. He was always skinny and all blind. :/

Anyway, hoping to see fry in 4-5 days.

Should I leave the lights off for a couple more days?

Thanks! I really hope I get some.

The runt in the group passed a few days ago. He was always skinny and all blind. :/

Anyway, hoping to see fry in 4-5 days.

Should I leave the lights off for a couple more days?
Neon eggs and fry are light sensitive so I would leave the lights off for a week or so.

Will do, and will keep you guys posted! :)

My plants are actually growing better with natural sunlight, than with the tank light, lol. :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back