I Think They're In Trouble..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishing4FriedFish

Reaction score
4 fish
2 bubble guppies and 2 gold fish

They are surrounding the heater, they've been around all day.. Then scatter when i approach the tank.

Since we've gotten the tank..the water keeps on getting cloudy brownish/greenish looks like tea..it even smells if we dont change the water.

Removed the gravel and only have two toys in there and two plants.

What could be the problem.

The tank is 10 gallons

Attached is a pic to check it

Removing the gravel probably removed a lot of bacteria that kept the water safe for the fish, while at the same time, stirring up a lot of "nasties" into circulation.

Many would say (especially in europe) that two fancy goldfish require at least 140 litres of water to live in.

It is hard to make out from your post if you "fishless cycled" the tank/filter for ~8 weeks, maintaining a known concentration of ammonia.

If you are "fish in cycling" then you need to be prepared (and often need to) change 50-95% of the tank water daily for upto ~13 weeks.

Once a tank is "cycled," it is normal to change 33-50% of the water weekly.

If you have been changing some water in your 10 gallon tank weekly, its sounds like a ~95% water change would be a decent start point here...

But if you have not been doing weekly changes, a big water change can induce "old tank syndrome," where the fresh water can shock the fish to death because it has such a different water chemistry. In which case the standard way forward is to change 10-20% of the water daily for about two weeks and then start a more regular weekly routine.

I agree with what Goat said. Guppies are a little active for a 10gal tank too.

What temperature have you got the water at? The reason I ask is that goldfish are coldwater while guppies are tropical. I would strongly suggest that you take the goldfish back to the shop, which will reduce the load on your filter, and be a lot more humane for the goldfish, and ensure the temperature is correct for guppies.

Also can you get a water test kit? A liquid one would be best. There are several brands. Nutrafin, Salifert, and API, to name a few. API is the most commonly used one. You need to know what your ammonia and nitrite levels are, as that will help us help you. If you can get a nitrate reading, that would be helpful as well. If you go out looking for a kit, the strip tests are not reliable and best left on the shelves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back