I think my tank is overrun by black beard algae. It's everywhere

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The photo shown is not my tank, but it looks just like this. It's killing my plants, and has covered my driftwood, pre-filter sponge and rocks.

I am at my wits end. When it first started, I thought it was detritus since I had so many roots falling from my floating plants. Well, it's obviously not that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have had tanks for years off and on, and I have never had as much trouble with one tank as this one. It's like it's cursed.

Attachments

• IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 77
That's a tough one I know. It helps bigtime also that you use lights that bring out reds and blues and greens over cheap lights that are "cool". BBA thrives under a cool white/daylight type light by LED or bulb.
You could try Excell by Seachem. Its sort of an algaecide I hear. I've never used it.

That's a tough one I know. It helps bigtime also that you use lights that bring out reds and blues and greens over cheap lights that are "cool". BBA thrives under a cool white/daylight type light by LED or bulb.
You could try Excell by Seachem. Its sort of an algaecide I hear. I've never used it.
Thank you. I will get Excell tomorrow. The stuff is hideous and makes the tank look so dirty. I have done frequent water changes, and clean and clean, but I can't get rid of the stuff.

I have not tried it because I hear that it can kill mosses and Vallisneria. If you don't have those two plants then Excel should give you results. Let us know how it does!

I agree on the light being an issue. But I disagree that the solution is to use a toxic substance that will kill algae (that in itself should sound warning bells), some plants, and if overdosed can kill bacteria and fish. Excel is a derivative of glutaraldehyde, just look that toxic disinfectant up.

The solution is to establish or re-establish the balance of light and nutrients to benefit plants but thwart algae. And it is not difficult. First we need the data--light spectrum, intensity, duration each day; plants (species and numbers), and fish load. A photo of the entire tank will give us the plant and fish data. And are you using any plant additives/fertilizers now?

If the balance is not resolved, the algae will keep coming back in spite of Excel, another reason not to use it.

I agree long term has to be an improvement in water conditions. What the exact way I'm not sure but I have noticed the more my own plants in my own low tech aquarium fill in,the better the water quality, and algae is - almost- not an issue when for three years it was. So,if she doses Excel to kill off the BBA,it would be then worth it to add more plants in that window period. At least if she kills off the present algae it will inspire to get more plants,clean the filter more often. Get balanced.

. But I disagree that the solution is to use a toxic substance that will kill algae (that in itself should sound warning bells), some plants, and if overdosed can kill bacteria and fish. Excel is a derivative of glutaraldehyde, just look that toxic disinfectant up.
@MammaBearinTN
I agree with Bryon about Excel. It can be toxic to fish. I have 2 bottles that I will never use...I thought it would be good for plants but after getting people's opinions about toxicity, I decided to stop using it

I agree with @Byron about prolonged intensified lighting and an abundance of nutrients. Also low C02 levels and low water flows are big contributors to BBA.
I would definitely lower the day time lighting to 5 hours. High intensity of the cool white spectrum also plays a big part in algae growth along with high intensity of the blue spectrum.
Also make sure that there is no direct sunlight entering the tank from nearby windows and doors. If there is, you can either move the tank or block out the sunlight with a shade.
I would also test for high levels of Nitrates.
BBA often grows when there is an excess of nutrients in the water column, such as nitrates. There are several factors to consider when controlling the level of nutrients in the tank. First, consider reducing the amount of available nutrients for the algae by doing regular water changes. Second, make sure that the fish are not overfed. If the fish are overfed, they would be producing a lot of waste. Even if the fish are not overfed, the tank could be overstocked as well.
Low CO2 levels or unstable CO2 levels can result in Black Beard Algae growth also. By increasing and stabilizing the CO2 levels in the tank, the aquarium plants will be able to absorb more nutrients in the water. It will be able to compete with the algae more aggressively. Fast growing stem plants such as Hornwort, Amazon Swords and Anacharis are plants that will absorb nutrients very quickly. Fast growing floating plants such as Water Sprite and Amazon Frogbit can be great as well, since they are able to reduce the light intensity in the tank as well.
An abundance of plants will also produce C02 naturally during night time hours with all lights out in the tank and the room.
What are your current water parameters?
The Nitrate level is most important here. It will show if nutrient levels are high.
What is your fish stocking level?
And what is your current lighting duration and intensity? As @Byron has already asked.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back