I think my cycle broke....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I mean if it were me I would love to know the science behind it but at the same time I'd just be happy and let it be... Sometimes people have strange "miracle water" lol. Is your tank heavily planted? If so I THINK some plants do "eat" nitrates and use them for nutrients. That could be a factor.
No plants. At least not real ones lol

Results apx 24hrs after adding amm
0122221922.jpg

If you're still stuck at the nitrite stage I am seriously beginning to think your nitrite levels are too high despite what your test kit is saying. There is no way a cycle should take this long. I'd recommend one of the following two steps.
1. Add no more ammonia for 2 days and see if your nitrite decreases, if it doesn't it would suggest your cycle is stalled and then you could do the following.
2. 90% water change, test for nitrites, at this point they should be diluted enough to barely register. Add your ammonia, test after 24 hours.

Can you get any mature filter media from another fish keeper?

just drain and refill it with dechlorinated water, wait 48 hours and add some fish.

If you're still stuck at the nitrite stage I am seriously beginning to think your nitrite levels are too high despite what your test kit is saying. There is no way a cycle should take this long. I'd recommend one of the following two steps.
1. Add no more ammonia for 2 days and see if your nitrite decreases, if it doesn't it would suggest your cycle is stalled and then you could do the following.
2. 90% water change, test for nitrites, at this point they should be diluted enough to barely register. Add your ammonia, test after 24 hours.

Can you get any mature filter media from another fish keeper?
My nitrite always goes down to 0 in a ltlle less than 48hrs... So its not "too much" nitrites... Its just my tank isnt processing the nitrites quickly.
just drain and refill it with dechlorinated water, wait 48 hours and add some fish.
While I would REALLY want to do that... I'm afraid that my tank would kill any fish I get due to the cycle not being complete.

If you add some of the fish on your list they should be OK. Not all, just some. A cycled tank is one that can clear 3 ppm ammonia to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours. But a sensibly stocked tank doesn't make as much as 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, the amount we add during cycling is to grow more bacteria than we actually need. If you add only a few fish, they would need a filter to be able to clear a lot less than 3 ppm in 24 hours.
Colin is suggesting that you do have a lot of bacteria, just not quite enough for a fully stocked tank - so add a few fish so it's not fully stocked and the filter should cope.

Oh ok... But when would I be able to add in the other fish. Lets say I do the water change and add 3 peacock gudgeons the next day. When could I add rhe 9 lambchop rasboras without killing my fish with ammonia and nitrites

Be guided by the test results. If there is no trace of nitrite (or ammonia) for 2 or 3 days, I would then get the rasboras. Test every day, or twice a day morning and late afternoon if you are worried, and if you see any nitrite do a water change. Feed the fish sparingly at first, then slowly increase if nitrite stays at zero.

Be guided by the test results. If there is no trace of nitrite (or ammonia) for 2 or 3 days, I would then get the rasboras. Test every day, or twice a day morning and late afternoon if you are worried, and if you see any nitrite do a water change. Feed the fish sparingly at first, then slowly increase if nitrite stays at zero.
Ok. I will see if our LPS is open today and call in to special order the fish. When its Tuesday, I will do a 75% water change :)rolleyes::mad:🤬). Then add fish the next day.

A little off topic but is the aqueon water changer about the same as the python water changer? I ask cause its about $20 cheaper... I can hook it up to my hose or faucet and be done with water changes

A little off topic but is the aqueon water changer about the same as the python water changer? I ask cause its about $20 cheaper... I can hook it up to my hose or faucet and be done with water changes
I've always used a Python, read somewhere years ago that the Aqueons are cheaply made...no experience with them, though...they appear to be similar in design and function, though...so you got that aerator removed from the faucet you'll be using?

I've always used a Python, read somewhere years ago that the Aqueons are cheaply made...no experience with them, though...they appear to be similar in design and function, though...so you got that aerator removed from the faucet you'll be using?
No... I have lightly brought up the tool thing to my parents... My mom said: "You are not taking apart my sink"... I said: "I'm not taking your whole sink apart just a piece of it that people normally take off"... I forget her response after that....

Not only is it removable, but they sell replacements for a reason...they clog over time, and restrict water flow...especially with hard tap water/mineral deposits in the source water...let her know you guys will have improved flow ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back