I think my cycle broke....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Most of the older test kits we put the phial on a white card and viewed it from above.
That test kit probably was Salifert brand. I use their nitrate test kit and it is easy and accurate..

test tubes from Api test kits should be viewed from the side. I view it against the white part of the chart with a bright white led light overhead.

Last night at 5:15pm I added 2ppm ammonia, I was just curious and tested now at 1:35pm. The results are: 0-0.25 amm and 2-5ppm nitrites. I will test ammonia and nitrites again at 5:15pm tonight. If nitrites are 0 I will add another 2ppm ammonia too make sure its cycled and test. Then if all is good do a big water change and get fish. SO CLOSE!
0117221343.jpg

So I got home at around 5:20 and tested at 5:30... The nitrites are still 2-5ppm, so yah, no fish for a while. My tank just is being idiotic and I'm getting tired. Its been a long and angering day out so yah... I'm just kinda done with stuff right now

Around 11-11:30 I added 2ppm ammonia because nitrites went to 0. I will test tomorrow and hope for the best 🤞🤞

Last night I added 2ppm at around 7-8pm (I think it was either 6:40 or 7:40 I cant remember LOL). So I will be testing tonight for ammonia and nitrites

Not to hijack, but didn't want to make a new thread on something very much related. How fast should Nitrate actually climb in an established tank?

I used Seachem matrix which claims it can convert nitrates to nitrogen (blah blah). Now I have noticed that my nitrate level never really rises. It will hit maybe 2.5-5 ppm and just stay there. I even went almost a month without doing a water change just to see if it would climb... it never did. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, and the nitrate levels I mentioned.

My tank is 75g and I have 3 nerite snails, 1 glowfish shark, 8 Glowfish Tetras, and 8 Glowfish Barbs. I mean maybe I am just way understocked, but after reading around it looks like I should be seeing nitrate climb steadily

Not to hijack, but didn't want to make a new thread on something very much related. How fast should Nitrate actually climb in an established tank?

I used Seachem matrix which claims it can convert nitrates to nitrogen (blah blah). Now I have noticed that my nitrate level never really rises. It will hit maybe 2.5-5 ppm and just stay there. I even went almost a month without doing a water change just to see if it would climb... it never did. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, and the nitrate levels I mentioned.

My tank is 75g and I have 3 nerite snails, 1 glowfish shark, 8 Glowfish Tetras, and 8 Glowfish Barbs. I mean maybe I am just way understocked, but after reading around it looks like I should be seeing nitrate climb steadily
I mean if it were me I would love to know the science behind it but at the same time I'd just be happy and let it be... Sometimes people have strange "miracle water" lol. Is your tank heavily planted? If so I THINK some plants do "eat" nitrates and use them for nutrients. That could be a factor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back