🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all

Hope all is well?!

So I posted a few weeks ago about my blue eye guarding around my filter. He would chase the other fish away from it then go back and check up the filter. Well we have moved on to rubbing and fluttering his body up the output nozzle. He will go away come back and do it all over again continuously. I have seen another do the same but not as much as this little guy. My conclusion is he’s in love with the filter nozzle but honest can someone shed some light on this behaviour? I will upload a video soon

Male Blue-eye rainbowfish establish territories, which they guard. He probably has the filter outlet as his territory. As to rubbing on it, I will wait for the video before I comment.

He might have a parasite causing him to rub on the filter.
How long has he been doing it for?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

While im new here ive read also whitespot or itch will make them do the same.
A few of my fish like the filter outlet, not in the same way though they like to ride the current.
They swim up in it then let it push them back and go back and forth a couple of times its funny to watch

Well while you were away Colin, about a month ago I had a columnaris outbreak in the tank. I ended up using a high dose of salt, reduced heat temperature and a course of tri sulfa. Nothing new has been added and I’ve only noticed him doing it a few days but I never really took any notice earlier sorry. He is the main one displaying this behaviour but I have also noticed another one doing it when he is away from the nozzle.

During the outbreak I had a lot of flashing. This has now stopped with everyone just this little guy

Well while you were away Colin, about a month ago I had a columnaris outbreak in the tank. I ended up using a high dose of salt, reduced heat temperature and a course of tri sulfa. Nothing new has been added and I’ve only noticed him doing it a few days but I never really took any notice earlier sorry. He is the main one displaying this behaviour but I have also noticed another one doing it when he is away from the nozzle.

I think there might be a few diseases at the same time. Bacteria plus parasites.

Is there any other symptoms?
Is there any fish that died, breathing fast, having white spots on their body and fins, tail?

It is only this little guy. Everyone else is normal and healthy. No signs of ich, no flashing at all. Tank is water changed and vacuumed weekly even twice a week lately.
A: 0
N02:0
N03:0
Ph: 7.4

Last edited:
I have been watching with the lights off and he is not bothered by the nozzle and is schooling back in the group. Seems to be a lights on thing :dunno:

Just monitor him and if he does it more often, shine a torch on him after dark and look for any yellow or gold sheen on his body (velvet), and check for white spot.

You could also add some salt if you like and it might help but mostly monitor for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Okay so just an update, he has gone back to his nozzle again. But is very protect of it and if any other blue eye male comes near it he chases them with all fins heckled up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back