I think my Betta is really ill

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I'll begin fasting straight away, any advice regarding the light? do I keep it on for the plants? or should I turn it off?
You could leave the light off for as long as he's fasting, though it isn't really the light that will be stressing him, but all of the extra fuss about the tank, with repeated necessary testings and water changes.
A darker tank would give a greater sense of security.
This is what I'm wondering, I'm not the best at discerning similar colours. The fin tear was from his driftwood, there was a tiny piece poking out and he tore his fin. I removed the sharp strut and treated for the fluff on his fin which healed within a matter of days, however I kept on with the treatment as advised. Though as to what fungus it was, I unfortunately have no idea.
The 'fungus' could just as easily have been excess mucus, accumulating over the wounded area.

I know that there are ammonia testers out there which do not have a colour for zero. The lowest reading on the chart is 'under 0.25'.
@Shiverz is your tester one of these, or is there a small ammonia reading which is below 0.25 but not quite zero?

Edit
Just realised he said API test kit :blush:
Sorry I just missed this when I was replying. I think it's below 0.25ppm but not quite 0. Honestly like I said in my previous post I really struggle to tell the difference. To me depending on where I am standing, the test result could mean 0, 0.25 or even 0.5. I'm guessing that it's due to the lighting, just like Hansgruber stated.

You could leave the light off for as long as he's fasting, though it isn't really the light that will be stressing him, but all of the extra fuss about the tank, with repeated necessary testings and water changes.
A darker tank would give a greater sense of security.

The 'fungus' could just as easily have been excess mucus, accumulating over the wounded area.

It was "fluff" I'll give you the link if you want to look into the matter further, but it didn't act like mucus there are some pictures on the first page showing this, but honestly I'm no photographer. All I can say is that I was advised to do a water treatment, so I did. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/clamping-one-fin.473909/#post-4073137

I'll leave the light off for his sake to feel secure. I want him to be as relaxed as he can be.

It was "fluff" I'll give you the link if you want to look into the matter further, but it didn't act like mucus there are some pictures on the first page showing this, but honestly I'm no photographer. All I can say is that I was advised to do a water treatment, so I did. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/clamping-one-fin.473909/#post-4073137

I'll leave the light off for his sake to feel secure. I want him to be as relaxed as he can be.
Instead of using the color chart card, I use this...those card colors can vary from kit to kit, the colors fade over time, and some of the colors look exactly the same (to me, anyway)

Hold your TT up to your computer monitor to compare colors: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

Instead of using the color chart card, I use this...those card colors can vary from kit to kit, the colors fade over time, and some of the colors look exactly the same (to me, anyway)

Hold your TT up to your computer monitor to compare colors: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html
I have to say this is brilliant, this should save me a lot of guesswork. I'm guessing that it takes into account the monitors light levels?

I also have another update, or should I say another blunder on my side. I normally use a 10 litre bucket, it has indentations on what level is what litre, the only thing is, the "10" litre mark is actually 12/13 litres (it's my own fault for not checking when I got it). I'm not sure this makes a huge impact when it comes to water conditioner, though, I'm guessing over time it could have built up to create a problem?

I did a water change and Shoto came out to see us which he didn't do yesterday, he swam around and went through the leaves, he was out for around 5 minutes before retiring to his shelter, he even came into my hand which is something he hasn't done for a while (since before his tear). I guess some improvement is better than none. Regardless I'm still keeping a close eye on him, I'll do another water test in the morning to see where it stands.

I have to say this is brilliant, this should save me a lot of guesswork. I'm guessing that it takes into account the monitors light levels?

I also have another update, or should I say another blunder on my side. I normally use a 10 litre bucket, it has indentations on what level is what litre, the only thing is, the "10" litre mark is actually 12/13 litres (it's my own fault for not checking when I got it). I'm not sure this makes a huge impact when it comes to water conditioner, though, I'm guessing over time it could have built up to create a problem?

I did a water change and Shoto came out to see us which he didn't do yesterday, he swam around and went through the leaves, he was out for around 5 minutes before retiring to his shelter, he even came into my hand which is something he hasn't done for a while (since before his tear). I guess some improvement is better than none. Regardless I'm still keeping a close eye on him, I'll do another water test in the morning to see where it stands.
Yes, computer monitor output may vary from user to user, but still better than the cards, IMO

And, the conditioner issue with the water volume could possibly skew the treatment of the water...to what degree, I do not know...just be sure to treat for the entire bucket amount going forward

And, get some Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner when you can, they'll do a better job with the toxins in your tap water, and in the tank

And, get some Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner when you can, they'll do a better job with the toxins in your tap water, and in the tank
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. I'm in the middle of moving and paying out over a thousand for the removal process alone, as little as a bottle of conditioner is, I just simply can't afford it right now, though knowing me I'll move something around and get that conditioner.

I just hope he recovers, that's all that matters to me right now.

So, for any of those that may be interested in how Shoto is doing. I can say that he is doing a lot better, in fact he's pretty much back to normal Shotos parameters 3-day spread.jpg
Naturally a few things were caught and adjusted so it's unsure on what exactly was getting my little dude down. I heightened his tank temperature, I performed water changes, I changed to a bucket to one that gives accurate measurements (it's new and unused), and, Shoto had a rather large poop (constipation?).

All in all, he's pretty much back to his usual self, he will retreat to his shelter every now and then, so whatever was affecting him, is still ongoing, even if itā€™s only slightly. I will be keeping a check on his parameters every day for about a week, and of course, I'll be keeping an eye on his behaviour too.

I donā€™t think heā€™s quite out of the woods yet, but he certainly can see the light through the trees. Iā€™ve included a little picture in case you wanted to see his parameters over the last three days, but honestly, all levels seem to be normal.

Thank you all for your help, your advice has been invaluable. Itā€™s weird how I find it easier to help others, then to help myself when it comes to these situations, is that a universal thing? Or is it just me?

Last edited:
So, for any of those that may be interested in how Shoto is doing. I can say that he is doing a lot better, in fact he's pretty much back to normalView attachment 141774
Naturally a few things were caught and adjusted so it's unsure on what exactly was getting my little dude down. I heightened his tank temperature, I performed water changes, I changed to a bucket to one that gives accurate measurements (it's new and unused), and, Shoto had a rather large poop (constipation?).

All in all, he's pretty much back to his usual self, he will retreat to his shelter every now and then, so whatever was affecting him, is still ongoing, even if itā€™s only slightly. I will be keeping a check on his parameters every day for about a week, and of course, I'll be keeping an eye on his behaviour too.

I donā€™t think heā€™s quite out of the woods yet, but he certainly can see the light through the trees. Iā€™ve included a little picture in case you wanted to see his parameters over the last three days, but honestly, all levels seem to be normal.

Thank you all for your help, your advice has been invaluable. Itā€™s weird how I find it easier to help others, then to help myself when it comes to these situations, is that a universal thing? Or is it just me?
It's just you....lol, j/k....glad to hear he's doing better

So, for any of those that may be interested in how Shoto is doing. I can say that he is doing a lot better, in fact he's pretty much back to normalView attachment 141774

Me too. Things that are obvious in a post will elude me when it's my fish/ fish keeping.
Glad Shoto is doing well :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back