FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My Betta is in a 10 gallon tank with 5 harlequin rasboras, 1 nerite snail and 1 survivor neon tetra. For the last two weeks the Betta is hiding in the rear group of anubias plants. He only occassionally comes out and when I see him I'll feed him pellets which he eats readily. He used to be out an about all the time but now he hides most of the time. He looks healthy but I think it may be time for a plan B. My plan is to get a 5 gallon Aqua Culture glass tank that comes with an internal filter and an led light. I have a small heater that would fit. The 5 gallon would fit on an old stereo console in my den and would be where I would see it more often than I see the 10 gallon tank he's in now. It come with an led light and hood which is a plus. Shipping is free.

I may buy the same gravel as in the picture in my link below or I may get natural colored gravel.

Would I need an air pump or does the internal filter aerate the tank enough. Betta are labyrinth fish so I don't know if additonal aeration is necessary. I can do an instant cycle with media from my other tanks or with a sponge filter that is cycled. Or I may take out the internal filter and just use a sponge filter with air pump.

Does anyone have this brand of tank ? I could get a 10 gallon setup for just a few dollars more but I think a 5 gallon would suffice for a single betta and would fit better on my stereo console.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-Gallon-Fish-Tank-Starter-Kit-With-LED-Lighting/20693704

Last edited:
Until a few years ago I used a small internal filter in my betta's tank and that was plenty to keep the water moving and oxygenated. The main problem was that most filters' outflow was too strong for a betta but I found one that was fine; then the impeller wore out and I discovered they'd stopped making that filter and all the spares. I found another make, but the suckers were fixed and when they stopped sticking to the glass I couldn't replace them. That's when I got a sponge filter powered by an air pump.
When you get the tank, see how strong the filter outflow is. If it's too strong, go with the sponge filter.

Look at the spectrum of the LED light. My betta's tank came with a clip-on LED which grew plants fine. Then the transformer/plug came apart in my hand while I was unplugging it :eek: so I bought a new one (yet again, they'd stopped making the light for that tank). This had white and blue LEDs and the plants struggled. Eventually I bit the bullet and got yet another light which has red, blue and white LEDs and the website also gave the spectrum which fits what Byron says about lighting. The plants are now beginning to grow again.

My plan is to get a 5 gallon Aqua Culture
I have a 5 gallon aqua culture tank, and it works fine for me. If you put some panty hose over the intake, it is safe for a betta. You can also adjust the flow, which is a plus. :)

I think that's an excellent plan. He wants his own pad. Now . . . I don't want to come off as a jerk here but shipping is not free. UPS and Fed-Ex are not charitable organizations and neither is Amazon. Your tank is cheap because somebody is squeezing a small operator who doesn't have the means to buy a boat load of those tanks and get a deal from the manufacturer. This ultimately hurts the local Mom and Pop operator where you like to go buy fish. Happy for you that you are getting a new tank for the fish you love but I cry for the little man because Jeff Bezos won't cry.

I have 2 of the Aqua Culture tanks. The 5G is perfect for bettas.

on the tank description it says the dimensions are 18x10x12....using our calculator, that figures to be 9 gallons.

Pheonix or Deanasue can you measure the dimensions of your 5 gallon aqua culture tank. I want to compare to their dimensions.

It's amazing they can sell a glass tank for $30 including a hood , led light, and filter, sample food and sample conditioner...and that price includes 2 day shipping from Walmart.

Last edited:
on the tank description it says the dimensions are 18x10x12....using our calculator, that figures to be 9 gallons.

Pheonix or Deanasue can you measure the dimensions of your 5 gallon aqua culture tank. I want to compare to their dimensions.

It's amazing they can sell a glass tank for $30 including a hood , led light, and filter, sample food and sample conditioner...and that price includes 2 day shipping from Walmart.
It’s about 16x8 1/4 x 10. It was out in the storage shed so I had to lean over some things to measure it but that should be it.

Thanks
So the dimensions on the description was way off

I have (2) 5 gallon, (2) 10 G, and a 55G Aqua Culture. I added an Aqua Clear filter to my 55G along with the filter that comes with it. I’ve had no complaints. My oldest is going on 3 years old and still running on the same led lights. I’m sold on them.

are the lights that come on the 5 gallon bright enough?

I don’t have one up right now but I was Satisfied. @PheonixKingZ , can you snap a pic of your 5G lid for Fishmanic? I can tell you that I have one Aqua Culture hood for a 20G long and on my other 20G long I have a Marineland. I like the Aqua Culture lid much better than the Marineland as far as lights go. The lights cover end to end with the AC one where as the Marineland one is darker on the sides. Hope this helps some.

I don’t have one up right now but I was Satisfied. @PheonixKingZ , can you snap a pic of your 5G lid for Fishmanic? I can tell you that I have one Aqua Culture hood for a 20G long and on my other 20G long I have a Marineland. I like the Aqua Culture lid much better than the Marineland as far as lights go. The lights cover end to end with the AC one where as the Marineland one is darker on the sides. Hope this helps some.
These are the lights on the AC 10G. I’m sorry I don’t have a 5G set up. Oh, I also have an AC 29G but it’s not set up right now either. So out of 9 tanks, 6 are AC’s.

Attachments

• EEEC9FFF-7FFA-48F9-9A7B-106A37D04393.jpeg
    EEEC9FFF-7FFA-48F9-9A7B-106A37D04393.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 85554A1D-E62C-4BB5-8116-BF8EEF42B133.jpeg
    85554A1D-E62C-4BB5-8116-BF8EEF42B133.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 93
Can you remove their media and use a sponge instead...just wondering how much room and shape of the media area.

Yes, I have a square sponge in mine.
. First pic is their cartridge with a nitrate pad behind it and the second is one with a sponge. These are in my betta tanks.

Attachments

• 09E3A9E4-1756-4E01-BF47-70692B61B903.jpeg
    09E3A9E4-1756-4E01-BF47-70692B61B903.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 689BCA21-6858-48E9-BE4F-5BE5878FE251.jpeg
    689BCA21-6858-48E9-BE4F-5BE5878FE251.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 84

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back