I Think I Want A Betta ;-)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm considering a betta to sit by my desk (in a tank obviously!!)

I've read lots about what they need.  I'm not new to fish keeping I have a 4ft tank in my lounge that has been running for about 8 yrs.

I've found a tank 38.5cm x 25cm x 43cm.  According to the calculator on here its 41 litres or 11 gallons.  Is that too big because I'm sure I read somewhere that they dont like big expanses of water.

I'm planning on cycling and filtering the tank and having live plants.  Also it will be sat on a window sill so I intend to paint the back and half the sides with black paint so that he doesn't feel too exposed. 

Is there anything else I need to think about.  Have I missed anything obvious?

TIA  Sarah

bettas eat food such as shrimp, bloodworms, etc require heater ,filtration blah blah blah.
I think he should be fine in that big of a tank, I had my betta in a 75G so :L u should be good, just watch for algae growth. and how many plants? (like heavily plants or just carpeted)

According to the calculator on here its 41 litres or 11 gallons.
Thats fine.

Also it will be sat on a window sill so I intend to paint the back and half the sides with black paint so that he doesn't feel too exposed.
I would not put the tank on the window sill,

If you think you want a betta then you DO want a betta. ;)

11 gallons is great. Just make sure any filtration you use doesn't flow too fast. Betta are a lower flow fish. 

As for a window sill that depends on a few factors. At my house I have double pane low-e windows with a UV blocking coating. I live in the desert. So under those circumstances a window means nothing. But some windows let in heat, or cold, which can be bad. Depending on the tank and the fish the light can also be bad. Often people say no because it promotes algae growth but I'm not one of those. Light is almost always a factor in our tanks, it's excess nutrients and Co2 imbalances that cause excess algae. So if the window won't overheat or freeze the fish I wouldn't speak against that. 

Tank size sounds ideal. As mentioned by others, any filtration should have a low flow or the ability to diffuse/redirect it. A heater is crucial. As for window sill, the painting of the back and sides is good and I like black as a backdrop for the fish, BUT, it may encourage too much heat absorption from the sunlight. I would paint the tank black as you planned, AND, then paint it silver or white to discourage the absorption of visible light into infrared or heat. You and your fish would see the black, the incoming sunlight would "see" a very reflective silver or white. I strongly encourage a heavily planted tank, both planted and floating, to help with water chemistry.

David

DWC said:
Tank size sounds ideal. As mentioned by others, any filtration should have a low flow or the ability to diffuse/redirect it. A heater is crucial. As for window sill, the painting of the back and sides is good and I like black as a backdrop for the fish, BUT, it may encourage too much heat absorption from the sunlight. I would paint the tank black as you planned, AND, then paint it silver or white to discourage the absorption of visible light into infrared or heat. You and your fish would see the black, the incoming sunlight would "see" a very reflective silver or white. I strongly encourage a heavily planted tank, both planted and floating, to help with water chemistry.

David
What if he got a black background and stuck it around the sides and back of the tank and then painted the back of the background a silver like you suggested? That way if they decide to move the tank they don't have to keep it covered in paint 
yes.gif

Chad said:
If you think you want a betta then you DO want a betta.
wink.png

Yes - I think you're probably right there!!
yes.gif

Chad said:
 So if the window won't overheat or freeze the fish I wouldn't speak against that. 

No, I live on the south coast in England in a weird micro-climate. It never really gets that cold; in the winter when the central heating is on this is the warmest room in the house and stays quite cool in the summer.  The window is on the north side of the house so gets very little direct sunlight except in the very early morning.  Also, although I forgot to say it, I will have a heater too.

DWC said:
 I would paint the tank black as you planned, AND, then paint it silver or white to discourage the absorption of visible light into infrared or heat. You and your fish would see the black, the incoming sunlight would "see" a very reflective silver or white. I strongly encourage a heavily planted tank, both planted and floating, to help with water chemistry.

That's a very good idea - I shall do that.  Yes, it will be heavily planted.

I intend to take sand out of my big tank from downstairs as substrate, put the filter media for the new tank in one of my externals currently running on the main tank and buy the plants asap and put them in the main tank until the small one arrives.  My theory being that way I get as much bacteria as possible before I start fishless cycling.

Thanks for the input and ideas - very muchly appreciated!!

Sarah

**sarahp** said:
I'm considering a betta to sit by my desk (in a tank obviously!!)

laugh.png
Made me laugh.

But anyway, if youre considering a betta, that in fishkeeping speak, is you WANT one
tongue2.gif

I want a betta too for my young lad (thats the excuse am going to use to persuade the other half to agree to yet anther tank in the house
laugh.png
)

Not much to add from what the others have mentioned already, just that keep up the research and asking advice, I am doing this too and did not even realise how many differnt types and colours of bettas there are available
blink.png

Ch4rlie said:
I want a betta too for my young lad (thats the excuse am going to use to persuade the other half to agree to yet anther tank in the house
laugh.png
)

Funny you should say that..... I'm a teacher but I work from home with kids who struggle at school and I intend to tell my OH that having a fish for the children to watch will be very calming.  I'll also tell him it will be good for as many children as possible to know how to look after fish properly - he can't argue with the greater fish good
rofl.gif

I've looked at a few fish but I can't bring myself to buy from ebay, however colouful the fish are.  My belief, rightly or wrongly, is that the fish aren't treated properly (I saw someone on there the other day selling dyed cories
no.gif
)

Once the tank is properly cycled I will be back asking for good betta breeders in the UK.

I know a guy from eBay, though now he is just on Facebook I think that gets real nice quality imported Bettas. Mine from him was amazing. Though since he passed(I introduced stupid nasty pests to the tank from plants off of eBay....) I am thinking of getting another from this guy. Just look up Envyaquatics on Facebook and look at the gorgeous fish!

cowgirluntamed said:
I know a guy from eBay, though now he is just on Facebook I think that gets real nice quality imported Bettas. Mine from him was amazing. Though since he passed(I introduced stupid nasty pests to the tank from plants off of eBay....) I am thinking of getting another from this guy. Just look up Envyaquatics on Facebook and look at the gorgeous fish!
Thanks for the info, I'll check him out!

Since you are over in the UK, check out The Fish Hut by Colin Dunlop (probably easiest to find on FB).  He has some really nice bettas almost all the time as well as some interesting and hard to find other varieties of fish.   :)

Oops! I didn't see the UK thing...the guy I had gotten mine from only ships in the US. Sorry about that! But maybe he may know someone...who knows! Lol. Sorry again.

Some people may laugh at this but here's a tip.

When buying a Betta as a pet do it in person if you can and let the Betta pick you, look at all the cubes and buy the one that looks happy to see you, put your finger near the cube and if the Betta dances and even flares thats the one, Don't worry that its not the best looking one in the store or that its fins look ragged, Clean warm water a good diet and watch them shine.

Check out my 2 guys, Both had finrot and bloating issues when I got them.

Betta Being A Betta.

NickAu said:
Check out my 2 guys, Both had finrot and bloating issues when I got them.
Betta Being A Betta.

That is a very beautiful fish
wub.png

I'm staying away from fish stores atm until the tank is completely ready (it's more difficult than it sounds!!)

But as soon as the tank is ready I shall go and see what there is and if any of them seem to like me LOL!
blink.png

cowgirluntamed said:
Oops! I didn't see the UK thing...the guy I had gotten mine from only ships in the US. Sorry about that! But maybe he may know someone...who knows! Lol. Sorry again.

no worries - I hadn't spotted the USA thing!!
laugh.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back