I think I have my filter intake and return pipes on the wrong way around

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goose3080

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think I have my filter intake and return pipes on the wrong way around, any clues on how to do an easy swap of them without draining the whole tank ? or does it not really matter ?

Attachments

• 20221201_200658.jpg
    20221201_200658.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 22
It would be helpful if we know what kind of filter you have. Likely it will make a difference because the intake will have some sort of sieve to keep the fish from entering the filter.

It would be helpful if we know what kind of filter you have. Likely it will make a difference because the intake will have some sort of sieve to keep the fish from entering the filter.
It's a fluval 307, however I meant the actual visible pipes in the tank itself, I think they need to be swapped around so the outlet is the closer to the side glass and the inlet is closer to the middle of the tank

That depends on how you want to control the flow of water in your tank. I use a Fluval 407 on one of my tanks I have the intake on one side and the outlet on the other so that the filtered water passes by the entire tank. I also slope the substrate down towards the intake side to give me an area that tend to accumulate waste on top of the sand that is easy to get during cleaning. IE I put mine on the ends. I don't think there are really any real rules as long as you don't get stagnate areas, and that will depend on your hardscape, plants etc as well as the dimensions of the tank.

That depends on how you want to control the flow of water in your tank. I use a Fluval 407 on one of my tanks I have the intake on one side and the outlet on the other so that the filtered water passes by the entire tank. I also slope the substrate down towards the intake side to give me an area that tend to accumulate waste on top of the sand that is easy to get during cleaning. IE I put mine on the ends. I don't think there are really any real rules as long as you don't get stagnate areas, and that will depend on your hardscape, plants etc as well as the dimensions of the tank.
This is a drilled bottom feeding system so I cant do that, the intake and output are both the same end, I do have them the wrong way around, serves me right for not reading the instructions, however, I didnt realise they came apart as they do, I brought the tank 2nd hand and all the pipes were already assembled, it should be fairly easy to fix, just swap the parts around and then get underneath and swap the hoses around.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 9
  • a20032_product.jpg
    a20032_product.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
OK so swapped them around, quite easy to do, just had to be very quick changing the hoses to the filter around underneath, moved the 3 plants around a bit too so the one that was taking over that area is now at the back.

Attachments

• 20221202_184413.jpg
    20221202_184413.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221202_184421.jpg
    20221202_184421.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 12

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back