I think I electrocuted allmost all my fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jeffrey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I moved my tank from up stairs to the basement. In doing so I dook out all my fish and most of the water.
Got everything good and put my fish back in, I must have plugged hte heater in befor it was in the water cause when I put it in there was jsut a sizzle sound and then a pop, and hten all the lights went out.

I went and flipped the breaker back and went and looked, all my fish were floating (or sunk) and not moving, all thats left is an albino cory, and 3 of the tiny alea eaters (cant remember there name).

Now its sad, I had 8 neon tetra's 6 blood fin tetras and 4 hatchets (I think thats what they are called, real thin stay near the top and always together).
But I hate having an empty tank, (or near) should I just buy replacments? or go for a different theme in fish?

I have black sand and rock formations, and a few live plants.

Thanks for reading my first post, hope it could be a happier one.
Also since this happened I have sand thats floating now..?? and a little bit of cloudyness, any ideas as to why?

Are u sure they're not just stunned? If they are dead, your lucky you were'nt hurt. WOW!

cometcattle said:
Are u sure they're not just stunned? If they are dead, your lucky you were'nt hurt. WOW!
Thanks,

I left them in there for about 3 hours, I thought they might come back... but no luck.
They were all about 3 years old too. so its kinda sad. But I'm trying not to let it get me down.

Sure did scare the crap out of me though, pop spark and hten dark.

I still dont get why some of my sand is floating now either

soz m8, my heater sizzled the other day im glad thats not what happend

soz again

Wow, I really am sorry to hear about your unfortunate loss. After having them for 3 years that must be really tough! :-(

So, how do you feel about buying the same kind of fish to replace them, or going with a different theme? Are there any other type of fish that you think you might like to keep?

Sorry jeffrey, that must have been horrifying for you (and them!) :-( I certainly hope you plan on restocking :)

heresmike said:
Wow, I really am sorry to hear about your unfortunate loss. After having them for 3 years that must be really tough! :-(

So, how do you feel about buying the same kind of fish to replace them, or going with a different theme? Are there any other type of fish that you think you might like to keep?
Its kinda hard, but not like dog hard.

I'm not sure what I want to do, I like the way the tetras schooled but only with the proper mates (the blood fin didnt like hte neons much).

But I think I want more variety.
I saw some at the lfs when getting a new heater that were like 3" long thin like a pencil, and liked the sand, they were black and orange.
I'd like to first know what they are (they said they jsut got htem in today and he didnt know what they were) and how well they will work with a comunity tank (they are for sale in a 8 days. I have 3 on hold for then.

I'll also get 4 or 5 tetras (not sure neon, or blood fin, or a different one?)

but I dont think I'll get the hatches again, they were kinda plain and boring.

I figure I got room for about 5 or 6 more smaller fish after I get whats listed above.... but dont know what, something colorful thats for sure.

Well... I'm glad to see you're doing your research. And glad to see you're letting the fish store quarantine them for you w/o buying them right away. ;) Tetras do school really nicely... I'm setting up a "tetra only" tank that will have congos, serpaes, and lemons. I hear they all school nicely.

OMG...that is absolutely horrible.

So, the heater was plugged in and THEN you put it in the water????

Man oh man, I'm gonna be really careful from now on.....

I'm so sorry :sad:

& Welcome!

Also any idea why the 4 bottom feeders lived while the rest didnt?

Most reactions

trending

Back