I Think He's Trying To Say Something...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ltygress

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My white crowntail is still in the 20-gallon long. I added two "pregnant" female shrimp but otherwise he is still alone. The only other fish in that room with him are above him and there is a hood from his tank and gravel from their tank blocking his view of them.

But he started making this about an hour ago. You think he's trying to tell me something? Maybe he's getting whiff of the shrimp's pregnancy hormones, lmao!

IMG_20151005_101636_zpskqchw4jh.jpg

Ltygress said:
My white crowntail is still in the 20-gallon long. I added two "pregnant" female shrimp but otherwise he is still alone. The only other fish in that room with him are above him and there is a hood from his tank and gravel from their tank blocking his view of them.

But he started making this about an hour ago. You think he's trying to tell me something? Maybe he's getting whiff of the shrimp's pregnancy hormones, lmao!

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y321/LTygress/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151005_101636_zpskqchw4jh

I got an error when trying to view the link! Update so I can see this please :)

Nah.  It is just normal behavior for mature male bettas to make bubblenests.    ;)

Wildbetta said:
Nah.  It is just normal behavior for mature male bettas to make bubblenests.    
wink.png

When they are happy of course :)

Just so you know, shrimps don't get "pregnant" as they have eggs. 
The correct term would be 'Berried" :) 

Hahaha, "berried" lmao!
That's why I put "pregnant" in quotes.

Wildbetta said:
wink.png
This one is now full-size (he's been working on it all day) and now covering the entire side of the 20-gallon long, opposite the filter.

I was going to breed him, but not yet. I've only had him less than a week. But if he's already doing this, I might put one in with him to see if he'll follow through and I can get some babies to cross for more whites!

Bubble.Guppy said:

wink.png

When they are happy of course
smile.png

They do not have to be "happy" to make bubblenests and will make them even in bad conditions.

Wildbetta said:

wink.png

When they are happy of course
smile.png

They do not have to be "happy" to make bubblenests and will make them even in bad conditions.

I stand corrected.
What does it mean if they do not make bubblenests?

It doesn't really mean anything.  LOL  Some males just don't make them.  I have had some males (back when I had domestics) that made bubblenests all the time and then there were some that just didn't. 

Basically the making of bubblenests is a sign of sexual maturity in the male betta.

Well this one must have some hormones from hell right now, then! LOL!

Ltygress said:
Well this one must have some hormones from hell right now, then! LOL!
Careful.. dont get too close now... hahahaa

I never thought I would see the day when I could understand a fish saying "I need to get laid!"

Okay, I need some help deciding who I'm going to pair up with the white crowntail male after they are conditioned.

The candidates (females) are:
  1. "Dragon" purple and blue halfmoon
  2. Red veil tail - almost solid but body is still a SLIGHT bit darker than fins
  3. Purple and Red veil tail - body is darker
  4. Blue/Green crowntail
  5. Chocolate veil tail - VERY teeny tiny bit of yellow in her fins, but mostly they're clear
  6. Red Cambodian veil tail - the white body with red fins, and purple iridescence.
Those are the possibilities. The genetics can be found HERE.

I'll try and get pics to update this post with later. But trying to get good pics of 6 different fish? Don't expect it anytime soon, lol!

Number 4 unless you want a bunch of messy looking fins in F1.  

Do you have a goal for this spawning?

Most reactions

Back