I seem to have gained one!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phishfood

Reaction score
Hi guys!

It seems as I have gained 1 neon tetra! I originally had 10 and after 4 months I now have 11.......I regularly check on all fish in the tank and 1 seems to have appeared over the last couple of days.

I know nothing on their breeding habits and dont know how many fry they actually can give birth to?

I'm surprised my extremely greedy marble mollies didnt eat them all....... :p

Is it weird for just one to survive or is it normal / and/ or very lucky??!!

Cheers!

THe smartest fastest ones survive. Out of almost 20 fry I had 3 grow past dime size. I dont try to save my fry other than giving them cover because I would get over run soon. With no lfs to buy them within 30 miles I would be in a real mess. So, in answer, yeah it is normal for a small number to survive unless, you take active steps to seperate them from any adult fish in the tank.

:p

Wow,
its really ineteresting to hear that about tetras, we were watching ours last night and im not sure what fish look like when they are mating or whatever but we think ours were, and one of the glowlights is really fat.
what are the breeding habits of these fish?

Starry^

Hi Phishfood.

Breeding tetras in a community tank is very hard. If you have managed it, then congrats.

How big is the new neon?

Dolphin.
iru.gif

The new tetra is now only slightly smaller than the rest of them!
We noticed a few weeks ago that some of the tetras seemed to be acting aggresively towards the others. They would quickly swim at each other in an aggressive way and spin around. Now I wonder if this was part of the mating ritual. We then noticed that a couple of the tetras were alot fatter than the rest, but we just put that down to greed! :p
Its hard to find anything on breeding tetras. It seems I have been lucky.
Its a shame a few more didnt survive as I really like my tets! ;)

Hi Phishfood

Noens as with most, if not all tetras are egg scatterers. They lay there eggs amongst plants. The fry, when they hatch are only a few millimeters long. There take quite a while to reach adult size. They can lay a few hundred eggs in each spawn.

Dolphin
iru.gif

It still amazes me that one managed to survive........especially if they can lay over a hundred eggs!

Thanks for the replies everyone! :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back