I promised a killifish update!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

newmag1659

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey!

So it's been a few weeks since my last post about the killifish tank, but they've been here over a week, and doing great! I am currently having a bacterial bloom issue but it's not severe. I know my killis are too fat, but I'm already cutting down as per the breeder's advice. They breed often, but the females and subdominant male have many places to hide if they want to! They are currently eating frozen bloodworms. The corycats are doing well, too.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help!

I know the glass is a little dirty on the outside but it has since been cleaned! The pictures aren't the best quality - oh well.

tank10gal.jpg

malekilli.jpg
killipair.jpg

singlefemalekilli.jpg
maleagain.jpg
malethree.jpg

Hey!

So it's been a few weeks since my last post about the killifish tank, but they've been here over a week, and doing great! I am currently having a bacterial bloom issue but it's not severe. I know my killis are too fat, but I'm already cutting down as per the breeder's advice. They breed often, but the females and subdominant male have many places to hide if they want to! They are currently eating frozen bloodworms. The corycats are doing well, too.

I know the glass is a little dirty on the outside but it has since been cleaned! The pictures aren't the best quality - oh well.

View attachment 108403
View attachment 108404View attachment 108405
View attachment 108406View attachment 108407View attachment 108408
I've already convinced myself that I already have too many tanks and shouldn't get Killi's and you post this! I want some now! Beautiful fish and the tank looks amazing! Good job :good:

Have you got any babies yet?

The fish in the pictures aren't fat.
You’re right! These are older pictures.. they are definitely fat now though. Not sure if you can see one of them in this pic, but it was taken yesterday. I do have eggs but no fry yet! Hopefully in a few weeks I will have some babies!

Attachments

• 5D6324F6-EA26-482F-8F50-4DADF15DC001.jpeg
    5D6324F6-EA26-482F-8F50-4DADF15DC001.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
Your fish are excellent specimens. Keep a close eye on your females. Don't let the males drive them too hard. They will, literally, hound them to death. Good healthy females are much more to be prized than males. People will tell you to provide hiding places and to break up the line of sight so the males will not pester them. It won't work. The males will hunt them out. Believe me, I found this out the hard way. Put the males in another tank if things get too wild and introduce one at spawning time. @Colin_T is right. Your fish are not fat. Those are very nice fish.

Help! I bought play sand and didn’t realize I had to clean it. Now I’ve had to completely empty my tank, including the fluval stratum because it turned the water PITCH BLACK. Now, please help me on how to clean the play sand so I don’t have to spend another 2 hours on this. Thanks!

Help! I bought play sand and didn’t realize I had to clean it. Now I’ve had to completely empty my tank, including the fluval stratum because it turned the water PITCH BLACK. Now, please help me on how to clean the play sand so I don’t have to spend another 2 hours on this. Thanks!
Start a new thread so people can see the question and help

I think the only way to clean play sand is the put in the time to rinse, rinse, rinse, and when the rinse water is running clear, rinse it a little more.

I've seen pictures of those West African killis in books and always wondered if they could possibly really be that pretty. Now I know. Yours are amazing. Hope you can clear up the sand snafu.

Hey!

View attachment 108403
Hey!

View attachment 108403
Stunning, thanks for Sharing !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back