I need the basics to keeping a betta fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Big Boy Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i will be investing my money in a new fish tank 35x35x35cm, 40liters and i have decided to buy a betta when i buy this tank. I have a lot if experience since i have a oscar and have been a fish owner for many years but through those years I've never owned a betta so if you can help Thank you

Nothing too difficult. Filter, heater, weekly water changes, ph of 6 to 8 preferably 6,5 to 7,5, no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates <20, plants (preferably live ones), and no sharp decor. I personaly use dried leaves or make my own blackwater extract. Though you don't need to do this. Food should be high in protein so get some high quality pellets and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/daphnia. Feed 2-3 times a day a few pellets or a bit of frozen food and fast your Betta once a week. You can find tons of info if you google Betta fish care ;)

So it will take 9weeks to save up money because i have to get this to put it on
Screenshot_20220804-162944_Chrome.jpg

This is my tap water, general hardness is 14, ph is 7.6, carbonate hardness us 10 and nitrate is 10.

The hardness is in dH, not ppm - I've checked with Affinity Water's website and they give the centre of Shepperton's hardness as 14 German degrees/ 250 ppm. I feel this is a bit too high for Betta splendens, even those which have been line bred for many generations.

But there are hard water fish which would be suitable.

The hardness is in dH, not ppm - I've checked with Affinity Water's website and they give the centre of Shepperton's hardness as 14 German degrees/ 250 ppm. I feel this is a bit too high for Betta splendens, even those which have been line bred for many generations.

But there are hard water fish which would be suitable.
Ok, ill see how it go's

I'm usually a real stickler for keeping fish in the appropriate hardness, but with fish as genetically modified as hobby Bettas, I wouldn't worry. They are air breathers adapted to less than clean water, but the huge fins we've bred onto them make them very open to infections (in the folds of the banner fins) so you have to be careful with them. If they start healthy, they are very tough.

Quiet, regularly partially changed water, patience while they recover from being raised in an antibiotic soup, in jars where they can't swim, a fibre diet for an insect eater, and reasonable warmth, and you'll be fine. So will your Betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back