I need someone to help me help my betta fish :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bee Gozutok

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I don't know if I'm writing in the correct place for this...

I have a betta fish. Recently he's been lying at the bottom of the tank. He seems like he's breathing heavy and fast. He has a swollen abdomen and tail rot.. I've been giving him betta fix for his tail rot but it doesn't seem like it's been helping him. For his swollen abdomen, I've made him fast for about 2 days and then feed him some tiny peas. I've been doing water changes regularly, his temperature is perfect and he has a filter aswell... I don't know what to do... Am I missing something?

I hope someone can help me out .. I want to see him swim around happy again.

Can you give us a bit more information please.

How big is the tank?
What are the levels of ammonia and nitrite?
How often do you do the water changes, and how big are they?

Daily water changes are the best way to treat fin rot initially.
If they don't work you can use salt eg aquarium salt. Use 1 tablespoon or 15 ml spoon of salt per 5 gallons or 20 litres. Dissolve the salt completely in a bit of tank water before adding it to the tank. Continue with the daily water changes, but to keep the salt level in the tank constant, treat the new water at the same dose rate before adding it to the tank.
If that doesn't work, you'll need to use a medication. I don't know what's available in Australia, someone who does know can hopefully recommend something.

bettafix, despite being sold for use with bettas, is not good to use. It is dilute melafix, and neither this nor pimafix should be used with any labyrinth fish. The contain aromatic oils which form a layer on the surface preventing the fish for accessing the air, and it get get into their labyrinth organs.

Can you give us a bit more information please.

How big is the tank?
What are the levels of ammonia and nitrite?
How often do you do the water changes, and how big are they?

Daily water changes are the best way to treat fin rot initially.
If they don't work you can use salt eg aquarium salt. Use 1 tablespoon or 15 ml spoon of salt per 5 gallons or 20 litres. Dissolve the salt completely in a bit of tank water before adding it to the tank. Continue with the daily water changes, but to keep the salt level in the tank constant, treat the new water at the same dose rate before adding it to the tank.
If that doesn't work, you'll need to use a medication. I don't know what's available in Australia, someone who does know can hopefully recommend something.

bettafix, despite being sold for use with bettas, is not good to use. It is dilute melafix, and ni=either this nor pimafix should be used with any labyrinth fish. The contain aromatic oils which form a layer on the surface preventing the fish for accessing the air, and it get get into their labyrinth organs.
Thank you so much for responding.
- The tank is 20 litres
- I don't know the levels of ammonia and nitrite.. I don't have anything to test it...
- I've been changing the water 10% every day ever since he started looking ill. Otherwise I was only changing over the weekend about 40%...

I've been using aquarium salt water. When I'm doing the water change I've been adding it to the new water. I wait a little bit for the salt to dissolve and for the conditioner to do its thing. Although with the conditioner, I don't actually know if I have to wait or whether I can just pour the water back in?

Hmmm, I didn't know that about betta fix. Thank you for letting me know - I surely won't be using that again.

I would like to ask 2 questions because I just don't know... what would you say is the best way to clean the bottom of the tank? I'm looking for a better way to clean rubbish that builds up. Also, do you think it's better with or without a filter for bettas?

1.). Clean the bottom with a syphon vacuum. The Python is the best but is also expensive. I think it’s worth the money though. You can find others and perhaps other members can suggest some. As far as filter, yes, bettas definitely need a filter but I have learned that a simple $8.00 sponge filter that runs odd of
20A76804-25F8-42BD-8F9F-D409E8D98BF9.png
an air pump is the best for them. Somethings like this is best along with a simple air pump.

- The tank is 20 litres
- I don't know the levels of ammonia and nitrite.. I don't have anything to test it...
- I've been changing the water 10% every day ever since he started looking ill. Otherwise I was only changing over the weekend about 40%...

I've been using aquarium salt water. When I'm doing the water change I've been adding it to the new water. I wait a little bit for the salt to dissolve and for the conditioner to do its thing. Although with the conditioner, I don't actually know if I have to wait or whether I can just pour the water back in?

Hmmm, I didn't know that about betta fix. Thank you for letting me know - I surely won't be using that again.

I would like to ask 2 questions because I just don't know... what would you say is the best way to clean the bottom of the tank? I'm looking for a better way to clean rubbish that builds up. Also, do you think it's better with or without a filter for bettas?
What is this aquarium salt water? Is it made for marine tanks or freshwater? The label "salt water" is leading me to believe that it's not for freshwater fish and may be harming the betta. Did you mean you added aquarium salt to the water? :)

- The tank is 20 litres

You need to keep your filter for a while as the fish gets better. The best way to clean all of this up, and simultaneously do water changes is with a gravel vacuum. I never had one of these for a good year then I got one it changed how I did everything with my fish. They cost about £7 where i’m from. (UK)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back