I need some Stocking Input.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hunter Brown

Reaction score
I have a couple tanks, and they have been going very well.
But I have an older 5gallon tank and all the hookups. It just sits in a closet.
I was thinking about getting a Beta fish because at the store I go to, they always look so sad because the stores keep them in super small containers. Idk, I was thinking that I’d post here for input on what I should do with my 5gallon.

I made my 5 gallon an amazon tank with an amazon sword, shrimp, neon tetras and it looks amazing and there are tannins in the water so it actually looks like the amazon.

To be honest, 5 gallons is too small for almost every fish except bettas. Neon tetras, for example, need a tank with a 12 x 24 inch footprint.

Bettas are not sad once you get them home. They only look sad in the shop because they cannot move in those cups. Put them in a tank and they start exploring; put them in a tank with lots of plants (real or silk not plastic) and they become very active. Before long they rush to the front of the tank whenever they see you - they are greedy little pigs and expect to be fed :)

An alternative is a shrimp tank. This would need to have lots of live plants. Shrimps come on many colours these days, though different coloured shrimps of the same species should not be mixed or you end up with a tank of brown shrimps.

Agreed.

You are pretty much looking at betta or shrimp.

A simple setup with some plants, a sponge filter and small heater would be great in the tank with a betta.

No neon tetras. Way to small of a tank. You could do a shrimp and snail only tank. I would prefer a betta though. :)

I agree, shrimp and snails. 5 gallon is way to small for neons.

Neons are shoaling fish that prefer to be kept in groups of atleast 6 and prefer longer tanks to swim back and forth. They also prefer water between 76-82 degrees F which in a 5 gallon tank would require a mini heater.
Bettas shrimp and snails are fine at room temp water.

Betta will definitely thrive in higher than room temperature water.

Many times they are kept without a heater or filter and can live years like that. But that doesn't mean it's best for them.

I have a couple tanks, and they have been going very well.
But I have an older 5gallon tank and all the hookups. It just sits in a closet.
I was thinking about getting a Beta fish because at the store I go to, they always look so sad because the stores keep them in super small containers. Idk, I was thinking that I’d post here for input on what I should do with my 5gallon.
African dwarf frogs could do well in a tank this size.

I have a shoal of neons (15) and they like to swim around a lot, 5 gallons would be small for even 6 neons with the way they like to move around but a Betta would be a good choice.

In all of my bettas tanks, I have a heater and a filter. It’s what’s best for them. I also have live plants in all of my tanks, I suggest you get some as well. I suggest getting the following: Anacharis, Anubis, Java Fern, And Salvinia. (A Floating plants)

To be honest, 5 gallons is too small for almost every fish except bettas. Neon tetras, for example, need a tank with a 12 x 24 inch footprint.

Bettas are not sad once you get them home. They only look sad in the shop because they cannot move in those cups. Put them in a tank and they start exploring; put them in a tank with lots of plants (real or silk not plastic) and they become very active. Before long they rush to the front of the tank whenever they see you - they are greedy little pigs and expect to be fed :)

An alternative is a shrimp tank. This would need to have lots of live plants. Shrimps come on many colours these days, though different coloured shrimps of the same species should not be mixed or you end up with a tank of brown shrimps.
I think that I will go with a betta for this tank, with real plants too! I have all the other stuff I need. I will have to make a trip for some real plants because there are no fish stores in my town that sell live plants... I suppose I could also order online but I live in Michigan and the temp around this year averages at like 20-30 degrees.

Most plant website (If you tell them where you live) will pack a heat pack in the package for the trip.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back