I NEED HELP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Mackamoora

Reaction score
Hi, so I got my betta fish Hesti about October time Iā€™d say. When I got him he was sick and we thought he would die because he had constipation, so we fed him the inner parts of a pea and he got all better! But recently, he hasnā€™t been interacting like he used to, he sit facing the back of his tank near the top, Iā€™m scared he may be constipated again so Iā€™m gonna start feeding i him peas again. I nteract with both my bettas and the other, Nilou, is great! I figured out I have beeen taking out to much water when cleaning which I beleive is also a problem. I also noticed Hesti, has some white trapslarent parts appearing at the end of his tail. Iā€™m scared and donā€™t know how to fix this, and I sure hope heā€™s not depressed cause Iā€™m really trying. PLEASE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS or ideas of whatā€™s happening IM SO WORRIED

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 97
Big water changes are fine as long as the new water has a similar chemistry (pH, GH & KH) and temperature to the tank water. And as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-----------------
Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.
Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do water changes, add salt to the buckets of new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains constant.

--------------
Monitor the fish and if there's no improvement after a couple of days of water changes and salt, post more pictures.

I agree with colin. What sized tank do you have? How much water did you change that you were told was too much?

Hi, so I got my betta fish Hesti about October time Iā€™d say. When I got him he was sick and we thought he would die because he had constipation, so we fed him the inner parts of a pea and he got all better! But recently, he hasnā€™t been interacting like he used to, he sit facing the back of his tank near the top, Iā€™m scared he may be constipated again so Iā€™m gonna start feeding i him peas again. I nteract with both my bettas and the other, Nilou, is great! I figured out I have beeen taking out to much water when cleaning which I beleive is also a problem. I also noticed Hesti, has some white trapslarent parts appearing at the end of his tail. Iā€™m scared and donā€™t know how to fix this, and I sure hope heā€™s not depressed cause Iā€™m really trying. PLEASE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS or ideas of whatā€™s happening IM SO WORRIED
Also, he looks unhappy, but I try to plabut he doesnā€™t
Big water changes are fine as long as the new water has a similar chemistry (pH, GH & KH) and temperature to the tank water. And as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-----------------

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do water changes, add salt to the buckets of new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains constant.

--------------
Monitor the fish and if there's no improvement after a couple of days of water changes and salt, post more pictures.

[

-----------------

--------------
thankyoh so much, will do!
I agree with colin. What sized tank do you have? How much water did you change that you were told was too much?
i have a 3 gallon tank, Iā€™d like to upgrade to a 5 gallon at least soon. Iā€™ve been taking like 95% of the water out because my gravel vacuum wouldnā€™t work so I would just scoop it out and hand clean, I also wasnā€™t sure since my sister just left me with the fish and moved away. While I clean there ants I transfer them to a fish bowl which I think probably stress them out.

-----------------

--------------
Also, Iā€™ve noticed heā€™s been making bubble nests since I started feeding him the inside of peas. Just an update! Heā€™s moving a little more. Iā€™m definitely not going to change as much water anymore since I heard they adapt to a certain type of thing in their tank? Not sure.

-----------------

--------------
Also so are you saying I should change 75% water every day??? Just to make sure

-----------------

--------------
Also Iā€™m sorry for relying so much, but for my other fish? Should I do the same? Since an object that was once in my fishes tank is now in the other fishes, although I cleaned it.

Here's the thing. Tanks that are neglected head down a path towards old tank syndrome. Polluted water becomes more acidic as water quality degrades. But many fish will adapt, survive and sometimes even breed. Every living creature wants to survive. We hear often that 'my old fish are fine but any fish I add dies in a day or two!' But if/when a tank hasn't seen a water change in some time, the shock of fresh water can be harmful. It takes fish days, sometimes weeks to adjust to a change in water chemistry.

So large water changes can be great, but only if done frequently. Often repetitive smaller volume water changes are best as they lessen the chemistry differential at any one time.

Having 'said' the above, we often hear of water changes of 20% or so every 2 weeks or every month. This might be okay for a lightly stocked and/or heavily planted tank. But a greater volume and greater frequency of partial water changes is necessary for most aquariums. Our best guide to frequency and amount required can be met by keeping nitrates <20ppm.

So @Colin_T is right about larger volume water changes, but only when it's done routinely, properly de-chlorinated, and around the same temperature. Failing these criteria could result in critical shock to the stock.

Also so are you saying I should change 75% water every day??? Just to make sure
I'm just jumping in here, but I think you could do 50% once a week, twice a week if you're ambitious.
(I have fry, grow out, and colony breeding tanks (heavily stocked) and I do 50% twice a week).
'The solution to pollution is dilution' and there's nothing better than FRESH water.

Edit: It is truly amazing just how fresh, fresh water can be. Some time ago I read that the flow of the amazon river is so great, that there is a fresh water stream 12 miles out at sea!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back