FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Days on Saturn

Reaction score
hello, basically I got a Betta fish last week and he has a 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter but he seems to contracted a disease. He has a big stomach and floats on his side but he occasionally swims down and just floats back up now I'm unsure if this is dropsy or swim bladder disease . I put a picture of him but the tank he is in right now is just a quarantine tank until I can figure out what this is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
I believe it is swim bladder. How much and what is he fed? Water parameters? Was the tank cycled? Picture of the tank would be helpful.
Yea that's the thing my brother likes the fish a lot so likes feeding him so I believe one night he put too much in and that's what happened but I also found out that Mercury (my Betta) is not pineconing so I believe you are right

Okay, you need to get him a laxative. Try daphnia. Maybe someone else can offer a better one?

Also do some background research on swim bladder disorder and share your findings and/or what you plan to do.

Monitor how much your betta is defecating. First fast him for two or three days and then feed him that. I've heard of some other stuff about temperatures and epsom salts, but you need to research that and decide. When was the last water change?

I
Okay, you need to get him a laxative. Try daphnia. Maybe someone else can offer a better one?

Also do some background research on swim bladder disorder and share your findings and/or what you plan to do.
ve heard that feeding him a green pea helps but I don't know how true this is

Heated, shelled, crushed green peas work, but mainly for goldfish. Many bettas will ignore the peas as they fall, which is why daphnia is better.

Hi, it could be constipation but it is hard to see from that pic could you get another? I would hold off feeding for a few days to see if it makes a difference, also how big is the quarantine? the pic makes it look like a vase? I think it is best to just place him in the heated filtered 5 gallon you have for him, if the filter is not cycled you will have to do small daily water changes.

Blanched peas can work for some fish, but bettas may not take them. You can try it. It may also help to soak the peas in garlic first, to encourage him.
I believe you can buy daphnia at a fish/pet store, ask if they have frozen food. If not, you may have to buy some online.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back