I Need Help Fast

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bekahsa

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What is the remedy for a salt bath for my cory who has cotteny growth on her fins and now the top of her head.  It has spread over night.

I know it's 2 cups of tank water, but unsure of the amount of salt.

Normally it's a .5 to 1 teaspoon. However, I wonder about this method for cory. They are known to be sensitive to salt. 

do not use salt for cories. At best you will make her more sick, at worse you'll kill her.

it sounds like she has some kind of fungus and so it's best to treat her with a specific medication for fungus. Esha is good for this but I'm unsure what you have available in the States

Hi,

The medication I have is the Melafix and the Pimafix good for fungus, but these meds are not helping her as the cottony growth is continuing and spreading throughout her body.

My poor Cory, she is so weak that she wants to give up already.  I found the salt bath it's 1 tsp for 2 cups of tank water and leave Cory in for 20 minutes.  I didn't want this salt bath to be to extream on her right away, so in a seperate 1 cup of tank water I added half tea spoon of salt, and I pick her up in with some tank water and slowly introduce the 1 cups of salt water to her.  After a minute, than I added her straight to the salt bath, she did fine.  I left her in the salt bath for only 10 minutes or so because she is way to weak.

This is suppose to imitate the peroxide water which I actually put a dab on her top of her head and put her back in the salt water.  At one moment I thought she was gasping for the last air.  I put her back in her tank slowly lowering her down to the bottom as she really don't care at this point to stay up right, so I actually have to put her up right.  While I was doing this, I got a little sick and weak my self, not so good and seeing animals die, that I get sick my self.  At one point after I put her back in her tank and as I watched her, I thought she was gasping for her last breath of air again, but it has been hours now and she is still breathing, but really slow.

I wonder if I should continue the salt bath on her while she is so weak.  I'm afraid that I will end up killing her as she is so freaking weak, she almost looks dead.  But than again, if I don't do this, she probably might just end up dead anyways.  

I'm sorry to hear the fish is so bad off. It may be that the fungus has progressed too far. 

Can you post a photo?

She died today.  She wasn't eating so she got to weak.

That's a shame to hear.   Sorry for your loss.

Sorry about that. If a fish won't eat then there isn't much we as aquarists can do except make our best effort. 

I have had my Julii Cory's for almost 2 years and I have only had 2 Julii's come up with these disease with this last one.  My first Cory, she was a fighter, she was sick, but she eat and kept her weight pretty good, sometimes I thought she wouldn't last to long, but she did.  The only reason why I think she passed after being cured, is because I think I jumpped the gun and put her in regular tank with some of the other Julies, and she ended up dying a day later.  I don't think her immune was strong yet, but she showed all the signs as being very active and free from disease that I thought she would be fine from a 1 gallon tank to a 2.5 gallon tank before I would have moved her to my 20 gallon tank I had at that time, but it didn't happened, I was in shock.  

I knew this one would not last because she quite eating after only 1 week of being sick.  Some Cory's just don't have that will to go on, but others do.  I know now what I need to do to stop the fungus from spreading further, or any disease for that matter.  Salt bath will be, no matter what.  I will be better prepared the next time one gets sick.

Akasha72 said:
do not use salt for cories. At best you will make her more sick, at worse you'll kill her.
As already mentioned you shouldn't use salt for corys. If this happens again you should be using medication for white fungus. Usually called anti white spot and fungus.
Malafix will not help.

I have kept salt before in my aquarium tank and never did my Cory's got sick or with this fungus. But as soon as I add new plants someone always get sick.

I had two hospital tank, one that was 2.5 gallon with gravel, 1 plant with 2.5 teaspoon of kosher salt per gallon, she was in this tank for a few hours and was fine. (I did however desolved the salt with water tank and added the desolved salt at a slow pase rate until all was in the water, she did fine, no spasm, no acting funny, she just sat there like nothing happened.  

The other was a 1 gallon tank, no plants, no gravel, just water tank, no salt.  As soon as I took her out of the 2.5 gallon of water tank treated with kosher salt and put her in the NON salt treated water, over night the fungus grew immensely and she died that afternoon.  Should I have kept her in the salt treated water, I think she would have been still alive maybe.  But she wansn't eating anyways, so no matter what I did, I belive it was to late, she really didn't want to live anymore after that first week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back