I need for every one to read this

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
I got this letter this morning about my water I am going to write it just as the letter reads NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DRINKING WATER THE CITY OF HAZARD WATER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM HAS LEVELS OF TOTAL TRIHALOMEHANES(TTHMS) AND HALOACETIC ACIDS 5 ABOVE DRINKING WATER STANDARDS IN ADDITION, THE TEST SHOW THAT OUR SYSTEM EXCEEDED THE MAXIMUM CONTAMINANT LEVEL (MCL) FOR HALOACETIC ACIDS 5 .THE STANDARD FOR HALOACETIC ACIDS 5 IS 0.060 MILIGRAMS PER LITER. THE HALOACETIC ACIDS 5 RUNNING ANNUAL AVERAGE FOR THE LAST YEAR WAS 0.075. What do you guys think would that harm my fish or is that the reason my ph keeps crashing I want some advice on this one or is this just harmful to me what do the rest of you guys think.

To be honest i havn't got a clue but it dosen't sound good does it? Id start using RO water from now on if i were you,i already use it in my tanks because the local tapwater round here is high in nitrates,its not cheap but if it helps your fish its worth it.

Dragon may be the one to answer this.

It doesn't sound good!! I mean anytime a municipality puts out a warning about drinking water it can't be good.

CM

Trihalomethanes and Haloacetic Acids are by-products caused by Chloramine reacting with dissolved organic compounds in the water. They are thought to be carcinogenic in large quantities but the MCL for drinking water is at least 20 times less than the levels used in these tests. The Chloramine in the water is likely to be more of an issue than the by-products - might be worth using a bit more water treatment than usual - although I don;t know whether this might be an issue as well.

From NSF Internationals consumer web site:
Although safe for human ingestion because chloramines are neutralized by our digestive systems, water that has been disinfected with chloramines should not be used directly in fish aquariums without first removing the chloramines with products specifically designed for that purpose. Chlorine can also be toxic to fish and should be removed before adding water to an aquarium.

HTH, Eddie

After reading your article, I spoke to a friend of mine who works for our water authority. I repeated to him the contents of your letter. His reply was one of concern. In this part of the country we don't use chloromines to disinfect water, it's mainly a low chlorine dosage. EddieW's caption from the website says it all. Looking at these levels and from my recent exams, I would say that it's like playing Russian roulette. If you use tapwater you run the risk of concentration of chloromines even after "detoxification" with fish treatments. Especially if you do regular water changes. Other problems you will come across also are your beneficial bacteria in the tank, gravel and filter(s). If the Chloromine in the supply is to disinfect germs(Broad term) It will undoubtedly kill ALL bacteria indiscrimanately. Can you see where I'm going with this? Like CFC says you could use RO water, except depending on the size tank(s) you have, it can prove quite costly. You have 4 alternatives that I can see, this was agreed between my friend at the water authority,who by the way is in charge of releasing fish into rivers and monitoring their movements. 1. You could play Russian Roulette and use tapwater.2. You could use RO water, but once you start you can't stop as the sudden change in water chemistry could be as bad for fish as the untreated tapwater. 3. You can use fish treatments to neutrilise the chloromines and heavy metals. Remember this does not always work, because neutralisation relys on evaporation, so you will need to let the water stand for a few days,after treatment, before using it. Then only use 75% of the topwater. 4. This is the lesser of the evils and is a reasonable comprimise. Install an in-line tap water filter in with your domestic water supply. It isn't as expensive as you might think, and it will serve your personal consumption service as well as those of your fish. Each cartridge will last about 9 to 12 months dependant on usage. The filter will filter out a lot of the heavy metals and chlorine, it may also soften the water(maybe an advantage/disadvantage-depending on your fishy needs)
I hope this has helped you.

I was thinking about buying one a couple of weeks ago before I found this out now my question to you is which one should I buy they have a few at walmart but I dont have a clue as what to do I have already started keeping fish and I have already grown to love them so there for I dont want to give them up and besides if i did I would just be putting them in the same water that I took them out of so I would rather buy a filter It would save me money in the long run anyway so if you dont mind give me some advice on what king of filter I should get .

Depends if you want an in-line one or you wish to produce your own RO water, or you have the time and just buy yourself a "Brita" type filter. It's a matter of the size of your pocket and what you expect from the unit.

I can afford one of the bst if it is going to work that is why I ask you what you recommend it will save me a lot of money in the long run my bala shark has came down with that stuff called columnaris and it has some small systoms again so I want to get this problem took care asap if you know what I mean I will be waiting to hear from you on this matter and thank all of you all.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents for all it may be worth... I lived in a town that had water problems constantly... at the time I only had betta's 1 each in a gallon tank...the britta filter works okay for small amounts at a time. But if you have to refill, recycle & maintain a tank 10 gallons or more the britta filter will end up just as costly if not moreso than an inline system..and not to mention how long it would take to add filtered, treated water with a brita.. Personally I would go with a inline system if your tank is large & if you are planning on living there any length of time..
Good Luck

Mollymomma said:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents for all it may be worth... I lived in a town that had water problems constantly... at the time I only had betta's 1 each in a gallon tank...the britta filter works okay for small amounts at a time. But if you have to refill, recycle & maintain a tank 10 gallons or more the britta filter will end up just as costly if not moreso than an inline system..and not to mention how long it would take to add filtered, treated water with a brita.. Personally I would go with a inline system if your tank is large & if you are planning on living there any length of time..
Good Luck
i have lived here for the last 20 years I dont think I will be leaving anytime soon I was thinking of calling that water company here that sells spring water I dont have a clue as to what I am going to do about this problem yet I would like to get everyone ideals and go from there this has me tore up I can stand the thought of giving up fish keeping I love all of my fish and I dont want to part with any of them but I will if I cant figure out something to do shortly I just now got my tanks lined out as far as cycling goes but it has to be the reason why my ph keeps crashing.

;) This is the baby you need.
Removes all the nasties,
doesn't change the pH or hardness
and all the water is useable not like a wasteful RO unit. :) Mac.

Oh no I can't post the image in here :angry:

Com'on Mac,
You're letting the side down. I would have recommended the API tapwater filter system(only because that what I currently use) Our water is piped from natural springs so the filter sifts out the impurities before we drink it. There's no disinfectant in the water-all natural. Filtered by nature and tapped by man. The only artifical thing is the pipes the water is transported in.

Drag, you've got me wrong. I build these purifiers myself and sell them very cheaply to local fish keepers.
The local water company started adding ammonia to the water recently (ammonia + chlorine = chloramine )
The only reccommendation I'd make about an API filter is not to get one.

I'll change my avatar to the purifier image. ;) Mac.

Macquatic said:
Drag, you've got me wrong. I build these purifiers myself and sell them very cheaply to local fish keepers.
The local water company started adding ammonia to the water recently (ammonia + chlorine = chloramine )
The only reccommendation I'd make about an API filter is not to get one.

I'll change my avatar to the purifier image. ;) Mac.
ok if you build these filters then how much would you take for one, Now go easy on me I plan on buying a good one that way I dont have to worry about it anymore ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back