I need cycling help before I start in a few days...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

How big is your 1st tank? What is your stocking? Is it fully cycled?How long has it been running after cycling? What filter are you using on your first tank?

How big is your new tank? what filter will it have?
My new tank is a 20H with an aqua clear 30

Here is the recommended method of cycling a tank. You might speed it up a bit by adding Bottled Bacteria (Dr Tims orTetra Safe Start have had good results}. Using this method it may take 5 weeks or a bit longer to cycle but this method and the test at the end will guarantee you are cycled and after doing a very large water change , you can add the full stocking of fish.

Last edited:
Here is the recommended method of cycling a tank. You might speed it up a bit by adding Bottled Bacteria (Dr Tims orTetra Safe Start have had good results. Using this method it may take 5 weeks or a bit longer to cycle but this method and the test at the end will guarantee you are cycled and after doing a very large water change , you can add the full stocking of fish.
Ive read that before, thank you though... Although it would be highly appreciated if the directions were listed in a simple to understand to do list instead of a long paragraph... That page makes my brain cells disappear...

So let me see if I have the cycling memorized...

1) put 3ppm of ammonia in tank

2) days 2 and 3 do nothing

3) on day 4 test

4) if the test comes back as ammonia being under 0.75 and nitrates are over 2ppm then add another full dose (3ppm) of ammonia.

5) wait 3 days and test on the 4th day

6) now I dont know after this... Ahhh

I think what the whole fishless cycle thing needs is a flow chart.

To start with use the calculator on the fishless cycling sticky to get your 3ppm ammonia and that will keep things going for a few days. If I get chance tomorrow I will see if I can come up with something that is a little easier to follow.

I think what the whole fishless cycle thing needs is a flow chart.

To start with use the calculator on the fishless cycling sticky to get your 3ppm ammonia and that will keep things going for a few days. If I get chance tomorrow I will see if I can come up with something that is a little easier to follow.
Thank you!

cycling can take several weeks to finish. If not using bottle bacteria and starting with 3ppm ammonia (no more, no less), this is how cycling will progress. This graph is from our cycling thread: It is best to follow instructions in the cycling thread to see when additional ammonia is added. Read the cycling thread several times until you understand how it works.
cyclingchart2-M.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back