I need cycling help before I start in a few days...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So, I just want a re-run of how to cycle and what to look for during the cycle. Also, I would love to know how you guys kept yourselves entertained aquarium wise while cycling...
Any tips would be much appreciated!!

Why is this a problem to you, you already have multiple tanks running that have been cycled. Surely this is just another one.

Why is this a problem to you, you already have multiple tanks running that have been cycled. Surely this is just another one.
When did I say I had another tank running? This is my 2nd tank and my 1st fishless cycle... So I need help. Im a beginner, so I just need advice from the experts

I'm so worried I would kill everything, that ive been planning this tank months in advance...

I'm so worried I would kill everything, that ive been planning this tank months in advance...
Sorry, just with your vast Knowledge and all the posts you have made here I thought that this would have been a walk in the park for you. All the experts on fishless cycling will help you out.

Sorry, just with your vast Knowledge and all the posts you have made here I thought that this would have been a walk in the park for you. All the experts on fishless cycling will help you out.
My knowledge ppartly comes from extensive research I have done and my previous betta tank which I learned SOME things from... I try to answer things to the best of my ability and only if I think I can... I thank you though for thinking that I have had lots of experience and makes me feel a little better putting my aquarium together...

So, I just want a re-run of how to cycle and what to look for during the cycle. Also, I would love to know how you guys kept yourselves entertained aquarium wise while cycling...
not a master just a beginner i only have on 75g

step by step of what i did about a year ago

fill up water and add dechlor
turn on filter and add api quick start ( hellp with bacteria stuff)
add plants
wait 2 weeks (now that i think back this was a lil short maybe 2 months better)
normal water changes (like 20/100 each week)
once the water was good i added snail and let him settle in ( he takes a little bit longer than fish to settle he sleeps for 2 days LOL

How big is your 1st tank? What is your stocking? Is it fully cycled?How long has it been running after cycling? What filter are you using on your first tank?

How big is your new tank? what filter will it have?

Last edited:
You can run your new filter side by side on your older tank for about a month. Then you put your now cycled filter on the new tank. Or split your old filter media in two, near instant cycle (if tank sizes are similar).

For a silent cycle, you set the tank up as normal, add all of your plants and ferts. Wait until growth shows after around 2-4 weeks of fertilizer. Make sure they are well established by adding a bit of ammonia and test after 24 hours. Do a water change, add first (small!) batch of fish. Every two weeks add a little more stock until you are where you want to be.

As far as handling boredom while waiting for a cycle, I do research on fish and stocking. Source where I am getting the fish. Make sure lfs has or will have what I need. Read a book. Work (I work way too much). Do extra water changes, come up with new feeding plans or tank ideas. Shop for new plants. Shuffle tank stock in another tank if I am not happy. I am clearing out some of my tanks right now, so no lack of that going on.

How big is your 1st tank? What is your stocking? Is it fully cycled?How long has it been running after cycling? What filter are you using on your first tank?

How big is your new tank? what filter will it have?
My first tank was a 3.5g. Betta tank with 1 mystery snail... Sadly, I did not know anything about cycling or how to REALLY use a filter. So about a month after that the tank got cloudy and I noticed white dots forming and getting bigger (at that time I DID know EXACTLY what it was, it was ich) so, without having a heater that can have a "custom" temperature I had to do medications... AND then comet, (my betta's name) got fin rot... So I was giving 2 meds at once (I KNOW IT WAS HORRIBLE) Then the snail died and ig he had been dead for a while cause he stunk baaaad... Then a few days later I woke up and there was a dead betta... After that I figured I shouldnt do aquariums again cause I didnt want another precious life to perish... But in about a year after that I decided to research things that had happened to comet and found that I forgot to cycle. So I researched for hours (yes hours) at a time learning about it but wasnt finding much until I came here and found this cycling method which has proof it works... I started researching for this aquarium about a year before I even found this place. So I am making SURE that I can handle most every situation to the best ability.

On my last tank (the failed betta tank) I researched super hard and I still missed something.... So knowing that has scared me to death knowing that I may miss one thing and kill my fish... So I have aquarium keeping ptsd ig you could say...

You can run your new filter side by side on your older tank for about a month. Then you put your now cycled filter on the new tank. Or split your old filter media in two, near instant cycle (if tank sizes are similar).

For a silent cycle, you set the tank up as normal, add all of your plants and ferts. Wait until growth shows after around 2-4 weeks of fertilizer. Make sure they are well established by adding a bit of ammonia and test after 24 hours. Do a water change, add first (small!) batch of fish. Every two weeks add a little more stock until you are where you want to be.

As far as handling boredom while waiting for a cycle, I do research on fish and stocking. Source where I am getting the fish. Make sure lfs has or will have what I need. Read a book. Work (I work way too much). Do extra water changes, come up with new feeding plans or tank ideas. Shop for new plants. Shuffle tank stock in another tank if I am not happy. I am clearing out some of my tanks right now, so no lack of that going on.
That tank is long gone...

My first tank was a 3.5g. Betta tank with 1 mystery snail... Sadly, I did not know anything about cycling or how to REALLY use a filter. So about a month after that the tank got cloudy and I noticed white dots forming and getting bigger (at that time I DID know EXACTLY what it was, it was ich) so, without having a heater that can have a "custom" temperature I had to do medications... AND then comet, (my betta's name) got fin rot... So I was giving 2 meds at once (I KNOW IT WAS HORRIBLE) Then the snail died and ig he had been dead for a while cause he stunk baaaad... Then a few days later I woke up and there was a dead betta... After that I figured I shouldnt do aquariums again cause I didnt want another precious life to perish... But in about a year after that I decided to research things that had happened to comet and found that I forgot to cycle. So I researched for hours (yes hours) at a time learning about it but wasnt finding much until I came here and found this cycling method which has proof it works... I started researching for this aquarium about a year before I even found this place. So I am making SURE that I can handle most every situation to the best ability.

On my last tank (the failed betta tank) I researched super hard and I still missed something.... So knowing that has scared me to death knowing that I may miss one thing and kill my fish... So I have aquarium keeping ptsd ig you could say...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back