I need an adult (suggestion needed)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Flushable Pets

Fishaholic
2x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on a new RED (or similarly bright colored) stem plant for my 6.8 gallon cube tank. Pressurized CO2 and around 100 PAR at substrate. PFS substrate with osmocote root tabs. PH hovers around 6.8.

I currently have Ludwigia repens that is absolutely thriving in this tank and has gone from a couple sickly little green leafed stems to a bush of bright copper red leaves from substrate to the tops. But it's a fairly large stem plant that is roughly 3" across. I also have Rotala rotundifolia and DHG which are likewise doing well. I love the Ludwigia, but it just looks "off" in such a small tank due to it's large size. I need a smaller plant that will fit in better that will give me some color to contrast the lime green DHG and R. rotundifolia with pink tips.

Nothing too demanding (specs above). Must stay smaller like the Rotala and have color. Not stupid expensive. Decent growth rate. Preferably a stem with different leaf shape than the Rotala.

Am I asking too much?

Try Alternanthera reineckii. I've always had decent results with it staying red, even in my low-tech tanks. It comes in several different sizes.

Rotala macranda red form

red ruffled sword plant but I can't remember the scientific name. But it was a dark red colour and had long thin leaves with wavy edges. The leaves got to about 12 inches long. The flower stalks were also red.

Try Alternanthera reineckii. I've always had decent results with it staying red, even in my low-tech tanks. It comes in several different sizes.

I love the look, but living in Amish country, I've never seen it in person. Isn't it wide leafed like Ludwigia repens? You know remote living in BFE Wyoming how it goes guessing online.

This title made me snort/laugh in a very unladylike fashion

It's true. I love my rural living. It's a trade off. Our somewhat LFS has melon swords and java fern. Both of which are melting. I trust y'all for advice. My LFS... Not so much. I'd love to find a member with what I need.

Rotala macranda red form

red ruffled sword plant but I can't remember the scientific name. But it was a dark red colour and had long thin leaves with wavy edges. The leaves got to about 12 inches long. The flower stalks were also red.

I wish I had room for swords. This tank is barely 1 cubic foot total. Definitely a bit too big for my tanks. I saw a R. macandra once about a year ago in Columbus. It was half dead, but I was tempted. I passed due to lack of knowledge.

Rotala macranda is a good plant to try. Just find some nice plants to begin with, give it light and a bit of fertiliser and it goes nuts. And the red colour is stunning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back