I need a bottom feeder

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice on what type of bottom feeder to get for my 43 litre aquarium that will be suitable with the follow:-

> Compatiable with guppies, platies and eventually swordtails
> Suit temperatures of 25'C
> Ph of 7.3 to 7.6
> Preferable not a shoaling fish
> That dont grow to big
> Easy to keep
> Easy diet

I was thinking of a Jullii Catfish, Leopard Corydoras as they only reach 1.6'' and feed on sinking pellets, flakes and freeze dried foods

Whats your opinion on this breed?
Has anyone had any personal eperience with this breed?

I'm not sure about those particular ones. I would think some corys would be ok. We have an albino and an emerald cory in our 55 and they are all the time scooting around eating stuff off the bottom. Everyone says they need to be in groups of 3 or more but our two seem to be quite happy. We did have 3 but lost one a few weeks ago. Since then the others are still very active, more active than most of our tank!

I'll see what else I can find for you!

Thanks Playfulalliecat.

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to bottom feeders. I did have a chinese algae eater but it died this morning :( it wasn't disease i think coz there was no symptoms just that he was really thin (emactated)

My other chinese algae eater in my coldwater aquarium is thrieving so i'm abit baffled.

Pygmy Cory! I suggest you get a couple of those! They grow to be around 3cm so there small fish and do great in small tanks!

Never heard of them before. Where would i find more information on them? are they easy to keep? would they eat sinking pellets rather than algae as i don't have too much of that?

Will the Pygmy Cory eat sinking algae tablets, odd bit of flke and freeze dried food too?

Can't decide on whether i want leopard corys or pygmy corys?

How many can i have for a 43 litre aquarium as i already have 2 male guppies, 5 female guppies, 1 male platy, 5 female platys. I know i'm overstocked but i am getting another tank next month.

i would suggest a bronze cory, cause i have one! they r quite cute when they r small, mine is fat, ...................real fat!

Kevin

Try a chinese algae eater...they might be a bit territorial when larger though.

;)

Your probly looking for something a bit mroe interesting but i just love my sucking loach, he is the bestest fish ever!
I just love sitting watching him suck over all the pebbles and over the big rock and the plant leaves and things, he is so interesting and playful looking.
I just love him, he is so funny when he sucks his way up the tank into the drift of the filter water and just hangs there,with his tail wiggling about,
we were deciding whether we were guna try getting him some algae wafers, but have decided against it as he does such a good cleaning job and we dont want to put him off that, by letting him get a taste of the better things in life lol :lol:

Starry^

Heh, I have been putting algae wafers in for my red-tail shark, but the algae eater always gets there first! :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back