I must have upset the fish gods

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have on order some corys and was due to pick up from LFS tomorrow. but I have ICH in my tank (sods law). I have done a 85% water change and hovered the sand substrate as best I could, and I am slowly raising the temp to 30 deg

So I guess my plans will have to remain on hold, just hope the LFS will hold the corys for me.

I have on order some corys and was due to pick up from LFS tomorrow. but I have ICH in my tank (sods law). I have done a 85% water change and hovered the sand substrate as best I could, and I am slowly raising the temp to 30 deg

So I guess my plans will have to remain on hold, just hope the LFS will hold the corys for me.

How do you know that you have ICH in your tank?
Do you already have livestock in that tank that are showing signs of ICH?
Just that there is no information for us to go on and I do not know of your tank set up is all.

But if you do indeed have ICH and you're treating the tank now, guess its bad luck and proper sods law in finding this out just when you've ordered some nice cories for your tank.

If you explain to LFS, hopefully they will understand and hold your cories for a while, or you could set up a quarantine tank with some filter media from another established tank if you have one and hold the cories in that quarantine in the meantime?

What kind of cories btw?
:lol: am just being nosey!

How do you know that you have ICH in your tank?
Do you already have livestock in that tank that are showing signs of ICH?
Just that there is no information for us to go on and I do not know of your tank set up is all.

But if you do indeed have ICH and you're treating the tank now, guess its bad luck and proper sods law in finding this out just when you've ordered some nice cories for your tank.

If you explain to LFS, hopefully they will understand and hold your cories for a while, or you could set up a quarantine tank with some filter media from another established tank if you have one and hold the cories in that quarantine in the meantime?

What kind of cories btw?
:lol: am just being nosey!
@Ch4rlie - Noticed this pm a few (only 3/4)of the tetras flashing, after putting my specs on, the classic sign was evident - salt like spots on fins and tails.

Pygmy corries on order. (10) Will ask LFS nicely. ;) If not will set up QT tank or cancel order and order again once I have the issue under control.

They should hold the fish. Good luck!

Noticed this pm a few (only 3/4)of the tetras flashing, after putting my specs on, the classic sign was evident - salt like spots on fins and tails.

Pygmy corries on order. (10) Will ask LFS nicely. ;) If not will set up QT tank or cancel order and order again once I have the issue under control.
Ah, that sounds like Ich to be fair from your description, shame really as its annoying to treat this. Good luck with the treatment.

Pygmy cories, I like these little guys, tiny.

Lots of LFS stocks these, they are not a rare species so hopefully your LFS will hold them or you can cancel the order and be safe in knowledge that pygmys will come up for sale in your area sooner or later anyway.

BTW - not a bad thing to have a quarantine tank for new fish before putting into your main tank, very common for new fish to carry disease due to LFS conditions.
Lots of keepers on here have spare tank, heater and filter on standby for when they either have new fish or when one or two of their fish shows signs of ill health.

This is bad and reckless advise but if you don’t have a hospital tank I’m guessing your plans was to put the Corys straight into your tank without isolating them first and could bring god knows what with them .. why not treat them in your tank your already treating ? From what iv heard about ich if it’s visible on the fish it can’t be killed until it’s back in the water , correct me if I’m wrong anybody please ! So personally I’d dose with salt raise temp to 30+ leave for 2 weeks with daily gravel vacs but I’d still add the corys because you could wait two week and get lucky and the store has kept them for you put them in your tank and have the same issue all over again , just what I’d do , I know others will be dying reading that

This is bad and reckless advise but if you don’t have a hospital tank I’m guessing your plans was to put the Corys straight into your tank without isolating them first and could bring god knows what with them .. why not treat them in your tank your already treating ? From what iv heard about ich if it’s visible on the fish it can’t be killed until it’s back in the water , correct me if I’m wrong anybody please ! So personally I’d dose with salt raise temp to 30+ leave for 2 weeks with daily gravel vacs but I’d still add the corys because you could wait two week and get lucky and the store has kept them for you put them in your tank and have the same issue all over again , just what I’d do , I know others will be dying reading that

Hi,

Sand substrate - not gravel. Just doing the heat route. Feel more comfortabe NOT adding any new stock until issue is under control. But having said that your idea about adding corries and continue treating issue with heat, does to me hold some merit - will give it some thought.

ATB

If you do decide to set up a quarantine tank, don't use media from the infected tank as that could well have the parasite in it.
I used nothing but plants last time I set up a QT. Elodea is reasonably cheap and 2 or 3 bunches of that with the stems left floating should be enough for 10 pygmy cories. That's newly purchased elodea, not taken from the infected tank.

If you do decide to set up a quarantine tank, don't use media from the infected tank as that could well have the parasite in it.
I used nothing but plants last time I set up a QT. Elodea is reasonably cheap and 2 or 3 bunches of that with the stems left floating should be enough for 10 pygmy cories. That's newly purchased elodea, not taken from the infected tank.

Thank you Essjay.

ATB

Hi,

Sand substrate - not gravel. Just doing the heat route. Feel more comfortabe NOT adding any new stock until issue is under control. But having said that your idea about adding corries and continue treating issue with heat, does to me hold some merit - will give it some thought.

ATB

It's best to treat the ich and ensure that they are all killed before putting in the Corydoras.

Corydoras are scaless fish and they don't do well with most medications and salt.
It will become more complicated to treat Corydoras if they have ich.

I may be completely off here, but my understanding was that ICH is always present. When healthy, the fish's immuno system is able to keep it at bay. Its when stressed or diseased by something else that the system is weakened enough for ICH to present itself. If my recollection is correct, there's no way to "remove" it from the tank, just to treat the symptoms and improve health.
That is an ongoing "parroting" story that simply isn't correct.

It is quite onlogical as well. Every tank has inhabitants that get old / weak after some years. If the parasite would be present in a tank these fish would always get Ich. It never happens.

Ich always has to be introduced by fish / plants / ornaments or at least the water that's on them.

That is an ongoing "parroting" story that simply isn't correct.

It is quite onlogical as well. Every tank has inhabitants that get old / weak after some years. If the parasite would be present in a tank these fish would always get Ich. It never happens.

Ich always has to be introduced by fish / plants / ornaments or at least the water that's on them.
Deleted post for misinformation.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back