I Most Definitely Messed Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xxEMOxLIZZARDxx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Picked up more test straps.
Currently doing a 65-75% water change. Here are currently parameters.
Top strip: before water change
Middle strip: my tap water (well water)
Bottom strip: after about 50% water change
1000001959.jpg

1000001960.jpg

I wouldn’t trust any reading given by a test strip. They’re notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. They’ll show you problems when there are none, and vice versa.

I wouldn’t trust any reading given by a test strip. They’re notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. They’ll show you problems when there are none, and vice versa.
They were all I could find at PetCo. I normally use the dropper ones but the PetCo was out of most things.

Don't stress about the tests. With nitrite you only care about 0 vs not 0. I have never yet found a strip that can't differentiate between those 2 states. Since you have 0 for your well water and not 0 for the tank its not a bad indicator.
Just keep testing daily until the nitrite section stays white. Keep up the daily water changes until they do - personally I would go up to 75%.
Keep feeding to a minimum, a tiny bit every 3-4 days is fine until the nitrite clears. Sure you can save up for a kit, but once its cycled it should stay cycled and your hardness is unlikely to change.

Hint: If you cut a test strip length-ways using clean, dry scissors you have 2 test strips ;)

Don't stress about the tests. With nitrite you only care about 0 vs not 0. I have never yet found a strip that can't differentiate between those 2 states. Since you have 0 for your well water and not 0 for the tank its not a bad indicator.
Just keep testing daily until the nitrite section stays white. Keep up the daily water changes until they do - personally I would go up to 75%.
Keep feeding to a minimum, a tiny bit every 3-4 days is fine until the nitrite clears. Sure you can save up for a kit, but once its cycled it should stay cycled and your hardness is unlikely to change.

Hint: If you cut a test strip length-ways using clean, dry scissors you have 2 test strips ;)
Thanks! I'm trying to do right by the fish but I also don't have a lot of disposable income to put towards this.

Thanks! I'm trying to do right by the fish but I also don't have a lot of disposable income to put towards this.
There will always be those who tell you about all the wonderful products (treatments, filter media, emergency meds etc etc) you must have. Truth is once you are set up it costs hardly anything. I have 4 thriving tanks and it is years since I tested the water. All my test solutions have expired. They all have nothing but sponge in the filters and plenty of plants. The only thing I won't compromise on is regular water changes. In my case I do 75% per week

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back