I Love Mystery Snails!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dmpfishlover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay, so this is something that I never thought that I would say...But, I think I love snails, especially Mystery Snails!! I added three Mystery Snails to my aquarium three weeks ago and I am "hooked"! Watching them glide gracefully around the tank is absolutely fascinating.. I love to watch their tentacles moving around and"testing" their surroundings..and when they press themselves to the glass and I can see them scraping for algae with their radula, it is soo cool!! When they extended their syphons out, it is amazing to see! I was worried when people told me that they would eat live Plants, but so far that hasn't proven to be true. I feed them algae wafers and sinking pellets. They go crazy for them!!

Attached are pictures of two of my Mystery Snails...The Gold one is "Sandy", and the greyish one is "Shelly"..."Karl" was hiding behind driftwood so I couldn't get a picture of him. He is a tan/brown color with a striped pattern. They are so cool!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_214510275.jpg
    IMG_20200806_214510275.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200806_211617944.jpg
    IMG_20200806_211617944.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200806_211726427.jpg
    IMG_20200806_211726427.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 130
They make absolutely awesome pets.
Mine unfortunately is an apple snail and there's no curbing the plant eating habits.

Aside from the plant munching, theyre really awesome, sometimes more entertaining than fish

They make absolutely awesome pets.
Mine unfortunately is an apple snail and there's no curbing the plant eating habits.

Aside from the plant munching, theyre really awesome, sometimes more entertaining than fish
I agree!! They are very entertaining.. I am pretty sure my snails are Mystery Snails and not Apple Snails because in three weeks, there has been not one sign of them munching on plants... Fingers crossed that it stays that way!:)

I have been thinking about getting a few. There are so many colors. Do they breed lot?
I find eggs from my mystery snails every other day but they lay eggs above the water line so you can just pull the eggs off, freeze them, and throw them out. Just make sure you have a secure lid so the snails don't get out of your tank.

I have been thinking about getting a few. There are so many colors. Do they breed lot?
They do breed, but lay their eggs ABOVE water, which is very unique when it comes to snails..They usually lay their eggs in the water. So unless you have a few inches of glass above the water line for them to lay their eggs on, they will probably not reproduce....But if there is space on the glass above the water they will lay their eggs there and may produce offspring.

This is my apple monster. She begs for food all the time hahaha.View attachment 112050

Shes bigger and her shell is a lot rounder than a mystery snail
I'm starting to think that my golden mystery snail may be an apple snail. she is HUGE and I have noticed some plant leaves are being eaten.

I'm starting to think that my golden mystery snail may be an apple snail. she is HUGE and I have noticed some plant leaves are being eaten.
My Golden Mystery Snail is also HUGE and almost twice as big as my other two snails. They were all the same size when I brought them home three weeks ago, but the golden one, "Sandy" grew so fast it was crazy!! I read that the females are much larger than males, so maybe she is a female and my other two are males? Or maybe she is an Apple Snail? I don't know... But what I do know is that so far she has only eaten parts of plants that were dead or dying...so, so far so good!! Knock on wood and cross your fingers!! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back