I Love Heros Severums,

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you so much! The pictures are a few months old so the population has changed slightly but the tank with the Acaras and Severums is a 120 and the tank with the 'Bamboo Forest' is a 75.

The latter is beginning to make me nervous in that they don't seem to stop growing! They are now 3' taller than in this image! Absolutely spectacular nitrate reduction though. I used pothos and inside of 2 weeks, nitrates fell some 70%-75%. But 'Bamboo" is such a profound nitrate sink', I actually bought two test kits in disbelief as after about a month, I can't read any.

These are the Bamboo/Pothos tanks:

View attachment 146019

View attachment 146020

View attachment 146021

The 'bamboo' is supported with a false top made of lighting grid (I did this because my Oscars absolutely destroy any plants I've attempted to plant. They can't move these!

View attachment 146023

View attachment 146022
I have pothos cuttings rooting now. Will put in tanks soon. Never thought of bamboo.

Stunning photography. What kind of camera do you use?
Thanks so much. You've made my day! In truth, it's an old Nikon 3200. You can do much better nowadays but the primary issue I find in shooting fish is you need to use a very high ISO such that you may use a high shutter speed to prevent blurring. you want to only use the natural or aquarium lights when you shoot fish and avoid using a flash which often looks unnatural or has much glare to deal with. Also zooming in helps as distracting elements in the image subtract from the drama of any image. I believe add-ons for high quality lenses and augmented controls of the camera in phones are available. But frankly when you shoot living creatures, there's 100 you throw away for every one you like!

Absolutely stunning fish! I am not sure if I have one of the oranges or not. I bought a used setup with 15 cichlids & a few ppl here helped with the IDs, but I can’t remember who is who. I’ll try to get a pic for you.
Thank you. You have a gorgeous blood parrot!
Thank you so much! The pictures are a few months old so the population has changed slightly but the tank with the Acaras and Severums is a 120 and the tank with the 'Bamboo Forest' is a 75.

The latter is beginning to make me nervous in that they don't seem to stop growing! They are now 3' taller than in this image! Absolutely spectacular nitrate reduction though. I used pothos and inside of 2 weeks, nitrates fell some 70%-75%. But 'Bamboo" is such a profound nitrate sink', I actually bought two test kits in disbelief as after about a month, I can't read any.

View attachment 146019

View attachment 146020

View attachment 146021

The 'bamboo' is supported with a false top made of lighting grid (I did this because my Oscars absolutely destroy any plants I've attempted to plant. They can't move these!

View attachment 146023

View attachment 146022
Nice red severums!

Thanks so much. You've made my day! In truth, it's an old Nikon 3200. You can do much better nowadays but the primary issue I find in shooting fish is you need to use a very high ISO such that you may use a high shutter speed to prevent blurring. you want to only use the natural or aquarium lights when you shoot fish and avoid using a flash which often looks unnatural or has much glare to deal with. Also zooming in helps as distracting elements in the image subtract from the drama of any image. I believe add-ons for high quality lenses and augmented controls of the camera in phones are available. But frankly when you shoot living creatures, there's 100 you throw away for every one you like!

Your pics look like they were ripped from the pages of National Geographic, they’re pro shots. Thanks for the reply. I took a SS for future reference. I‘ve been muddling along with the iPad camera, but recently fired up my Canon EOS digital Rebel XT. It’s a old one too, but served me well photographing birds, mostly shots of my own parrots.

View attachment 146019

View attachment 146020

View attachment 146021

View attachment 146023

View attachment 146022
This is so interesting - could you give us some more info on this (maybe a separate thread as to not hijack this one). But would love to know the species of pothos you use and how you managed the bamboo, I've heard before its hard to get to grow and can rot? One thing we have had concerns about is if the Pothos is toxic? A member here has said it is toxic to mamals but I've never been 100% on if it is for fish? With a tank of Severums I imagine the roots have been nibbled more than once?

I bet @Guyb93 would be interested too ;)

Wills

I have also heard Pothos are toxic why I used monsters and having good success but I’m guessing with regular water changes Pothos probably wouldn’t effect the water , I’m planning on adding more terrestrial plants to my tank so my Severum and silver dollars can’t eat them they really do help for Sev owners

Your pics look like they were ripped from the pages of National Geographic, they’re pro shots. Thanks for the reply. I took a SS for future reference. I‘ve been muddling along with the iPad camera, but recently fired up my Canon EOS digital Rebel XT. It’s a old one too, but served me well photographing birds, mostly shots of my own parrots.
Is this the type of grid you use? Found it at Lowe’s yesterday & ordered “bamboo” on eBay. Never knew this plant is not bamboo at all, but more closely related to succulents. We will cut the grid & shove in the not really bamboo when it arrives.

How do you attach the pothos to the tank?

Once again, your photos are spectacular!
🏆🏆🏆

Attachments

• 5F4DC739-335D-4779-8866-D061E50FE74F.jpeg
    5F4DC739-335D-4779-8866-D061E50FE74F.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 44
Thank you so much. you're very kind. Yes, that's exactly what I used too. Your camera would do well for shooting the fishes. What you primarily need ids the ability to zoom and cut out distracting details and a fast shutter so you can avoid flash. Your camera is known for good glass too. Dracaena, right. One caveat. Mine is now 6' tall! I guess all those nitrates had to go somewhere!

This is so interesting - could you give us some more info on this (maybe a separate thread as to not hijack this one). But would love to know the species of pothos you use and how you managed the bamboo, I've heard before its hard to get to grow and can rot? One thing we have had concerns about is if the Pothos is toxic? A member here has said it is toxic to mamals but I've never been 100% on if it is for fish? With a tank of Severums I imagine the roots have been nibbled more than once?

I bet @Guyb93 would be interested too ;)

Wills
Thank you so much. I do have information on that as well as the toxicity issue. At your suggestion, I posted an informal test made locally with an LFS run by a marine biologist and ichthyologist that these tanks were part of. it's well quantified and more anecdotal than I'd have liked but I think some may find it helpful. Alternate Nitrate Reduction

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back