I Lost A Fish....no, Literally, I Lost A Fish!

Gvilleguy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My biggest and oldest Zebra Danio went missing over the weekend. I was out of town, and when I checked the tank Monday morning, only two Zebras instead of three. I carefully checked the tank's nooks and crannies for a body, but no luck. I even got a flashlight and checked the floor around the tank in case it managed to jump out of the small openings in the hood. This is the first time I have lost a fish and not been able to find its body! :sad: Happened much to any of you??

not when i couldnt find any evidence of it , but if you were gone for the weekend its perfetly plausable that it died and was subsequently eaten , after all nothing is wasted in nature

Check your mechanical filter pad/sponge. I had a smaller danio get sucked up into an AC 30. I could not find the body. I pulled out the filter rack, and remains came down the waterfall. I should have put a prefilter on the intake :(

i lost a red eye tetra a month or so ago, couldnt find any sign of it anywhere :blink:

When I had Mbuna I had the odd one dissapear and never found the body. These were much bigger than a Danio.
I suspect the other fish disposed of the body pretty quickly.

At the risk of making myself sound like a totally negligent fishkeeper (I'm really not!), yes; I've had it happen quite a few times. In a fairly well stocked tank it doesn't take all that long for a corpse to get eaten by the other inhabitants :(

i lost an mbuna cichlid not long ago, found it dead buried under a rock

I'll report back if I ever find a skeleton. Perhaps when I clean the other half of the tank this weekend...

It's happened to me as well. I thought I was going crazy. I'm glad i'm not the only one :lol:

Happened to me.. Lost my neon tetras one day... Still haven't found those little things. (All but three have been located, those three are either escape artists, or in another fishes belly!)

In my community tank, lost a fish for a good 5-7days but then found skeleton in a plant :sad:

In the cichlid tank, they become food :S

Lost fish and never found a trace of them several times.
I have Cichlids and Loach, guess they're the main culprits when
it comes to disposing of bodies w/o a trace !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back