I know snails sleep but this is weird...maybe he’s dead?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maddie Dalsing

Reaction score
Okay so I have a big chestnut mystery snail and I’ve had him since he came out of his egg and he was the fastest growing and the biggest and just the most healthy and perfect shelled mystery snail in my tank, always mating and scooting around, he’s just so beautiful. Well starting yesterday he’s been laying out at the bottom of the tank not moving, I thought I read somewhere that they do some sort of hibernation thing and that they’re not dead but idk can anyone tell me if that’s true? And if so, during this hibernation sleep thing do they just hang out of their shell not moving at all?
Or if it’s not true then he must be dying right? I mean he was the best and from what I thought healthiest snail ever and then out of nowhere just laying there. I’ve tested the water and it’s fine and it’s been about a week and a half since I last cleaned the tank...ugh help
88316026-609A-4A15-B9EF-EDCE1CC6A0F1.jpeg

They can sleep for up to three years. Smell him. A dead snail will have an unmistakable horrid smell

Aquatic snails don't sleep for 3 years and don't normally hibernate unless the temperature drops a lot. Then the coldwater snails might go dormant for a short time but the tropical snails die.

Touch the underside of its foot and see if it responds.
See if it smells.
Try to gently pull it out of its shell. If it's dead it will come out and stink. If it's alive it should retract an bit.

Aquatic snails don't sleep for 3 years and don't normally hibernate unless the temperature drops a lot. Then the coldwater snails might go dormant for a short time but the tropical snails die.

Touch the underside of its foot and see if it responds.
See if it smells.
Try to gently pull it out of its shell. If it's dead it will come out and stink. If it's alive it should retract an bit.
Must of been thinking of terrestrial snails. Whoops!

Yeah terrestrial snails can sleep for years. They certainly do during summer. They stick themselves to walls and stay dormant until it rains, then crawl around and eat all the plants :(

One
Yeah terrestrial snails can sleep for years. They certainly do during summer. They stick themselves to walls and stay dormant until it rains, then crawl around and eat all the plants :(
One Scientist glued a shell to a species identification card and 2 years later it was alive and he freaked out lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back