I know its not a need but should I use uv lighting?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Because none of these recent posts benefit the OP.

They do benefits @Rocky998 who now knows there are different kinds of UV sterilizers : added with no opaque shield, hermetically sealed internal, and hermetically sealed external. Also some are filter built-in.

Any UV device used in an aquarium should not emit UV rays outside the unit. There are two types of device which can be used - a filter with a built in UV bulb, and a tube with a UV bulb but no filter. In both of these, the UV bulb is inside a casing which prevents UV rays leaving the casing. These cannot kill anything which does not pass inside the filter or tube casing so the beneficial bacteria will not be harmed.

A UV light which is not shielded by a casing should not be used in an aquarium because of the harmfull effect of UV radiation on the fish or any organism nearby outside the tank.

Whether they are of any use is debatable. The algae/pathogens have to pass inside the filter or tube to be killed. In the case of ich, for example, it is quite likely that a newly 'hatched' stage #3 parasite will infect a fish before it has time to be pulled through the filter/tube.
Any alga or pathogen which manages to avoid passing through the filter/tube will not be killed and will reproduce.

I works well on "green water" even if it takes longer than ads say. Also depends on green water density.

Daphnias are very effective on green water. I think that 20 daphnias clear 1 litre water in 24 hours. Knowing daphnia size it's a feat !

This thread needs to be closed, IMO

@Essjay
Aaaand that’s why you aren’t a mod. 😐

The sole existence of forums is to discuss and get to the bottom of controversial subject matter. If you are just going to bail out when you going gets tough, why start the argument in the first place??

Aaaand that’s why you aren’t a mod. 😐

The sole existence of forums is to discuss and get to the bottom of controversial subject matter. If you are just going to bail out when you going gets tough, why start the argument in the first place??
Who's arguing?

It could kill any beneficial bacteria. It could kill bad bacteria too. But, I have read that the amount of time spent in the uv light is too little to make a significant dent in anything. The water goes through too fast. Hence it is a rather useless piece of kit.
I agree with everything you said with one side note. The UV chamber on my canister filter is isolated from the biomedia and since the water goes through too fast it wouldn't likely kill free floating nitrifiers

The UV chamber on my canister filter is isolated from the biomedia and since the water goes through too fast it wouldn't likely kill free floating nitrifiers
Agreed ! Exactly what I said ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back