I know I'm going to feel silly ... fish ID question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That's not good. They're quite peaceful now , but they're only 1.5-2 inches.
There is confusion in the hobby about similar species and this is a problem for fish keepers in terms of compatability and size.

I think the CHINESE algae eater is the vicious one,
It is often confused with the siamese algae eaters
and the flying foxes as they look alike, especially as juveniles.

Edit to separate URLs

Last edited:
Friend had two of them and they ganged up to other fish bullying them. That's what i meand

Hopefully, as the OP has 6, they will keep each other busy and leave other fish alone. SF describes them as generally peaceful.

OP says that 3 were sent accidentally?

Yes I have three.

This may or may not be the problem you will face, the aggressiveness due to too few of them. Species in this genus like all the related genera are cyprinids, and they are shoaling fish requiring a group of the species. I have no personal knowledge of this particular species (they are certainly attractive fish) but the fish in these related genera/species have basically identical requirements and behaviours that are inherent in their genes.

They are best with at least five or six; having fewer than six can cause bullying problems. However, adding to an existing group is usually not always advisable because the fish will tend to establish their hierarchy within the initial group and "intruders" later may not be at all welcomed. Given this, it may be best to stay with the three, in a much larger tank--they need a 4-foot tank now and a 6-foot for mature fish.

Complete species information here:

Yes I have had this same problem when adding new fish of the same species before. I plan to stick it out with these three. Thanks for the info Byron. I was hoping three feet would be enough, but it doesn't look promising.

Yes I have had this same problem when adding new fish of the same species before. I plan to stick it out with these three. Thanks for the info Byron. I was hoping three feet would be enough, but it doesn't look promising.

I intended including this previously, and forgot, sorry. But your response has reminded me.

When shoaling fish are in small groups, or in too small a tank space [the issue behind my post], there are two possible reactions. Generally, their level of aggression increases. There are scientific studies definitely proving this now, so it is fact. But sometimes the opposite occurs, and the fish, either all of them or individuals, can become withdrawn and they slowly waste away. Of course, with this species such fish are likely to be targeted by the "alpha" of the three. But the tank space can cause this as much as the numbers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back