I kill everything

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hi my name is Noodles and I kill every floating plant I touch.

Tried no snails
Tried no lid
Tried with lid
Tried different tank
Tried different light
Tried ferts
Tried sponge filter only

Just poof. Gone.

Nah they all just slowly disappear.

Salvinia? Starts sinking itself and rots.
20200813_220243.jpg

Frogbit? Melts away roots first. Both the tropical AND the temperate species.
20200810_201849.jpg

Duckweed? Gets little holes and disappears without a trace
20200813_223527.jpg

Hyacinths? Hahahaha I tried.
20200813_220233.jpg

I cant keep potted plants alive either. I've even noticed my lucky bamboo is looking sorry for itself.
If it touches air, it dies.

I'm not good with some plants but my Amazon sword seems indestructible. Have you tried one of those before?

ive got no problems with submerged plants! All my tanks are planted. Swords and crypts do particularly well with our tanks, as do hygrophila polysperma.
Christmas moss, no problem.
Valisneria, no issues.
Moneywort pretty steady.
I even got hair grass that came as a hitchhiker that does okay not dying but I havent even given it root tabs either so lol
Anubias is fine too.
Anacharis does alright.
Hornwort is fine.
Bladderwort is a surprisingly good one for me too.

I kill java fern

Wisteria not so great though.
Ludwigia used to do well but stopped thriving and now just meh.

Oh no! I'm sorry about the hyacinths, they looked so good, and I know you were enjoying them :( Stupid plants! Wish I could be more help. How can you be so good with fish and other animals, but so terrible with plants?:p ;)

If it's any consolation, I used to be awful with plants. Houseplants, garden plants - I'd forget to water stuff and it would dry out, or I'd over water and rot a cactus (actually happened). I had a rep for it and everything. My mum visited me once and saw I'd got a new plant and took it home with her. She's great with plants and had load, and she said she couldn't leave it with me knowing I'd kill it. I was that bad.

Then I got determined to get better at gardening, because I finally rented a place with a garden I could overhaul. Something just clicked after I did a lot of reading, and practiced on outdoor plants. Now I'm pretty good with plants, and I don't really know how that happened, what I did differently apart from watering when the plants needed it, and not leaving them soaking in massive puddles to rot either. Maybe the same will happen for you, and you'll develop green fingers later in life :D

Gotta be something about your water chemistry, nutrients, light... something. I don't know how to pin down what though, I'm sorry! Some plants struggle in softer water, don't they?

Oh no! I'm sorry about the hyacinths, they looked so good, and I know you were enjoying them :( Stupid plants! Wish I could be more help. How can you be so good with fish and other animals, but so terrible with plants?:p ;)

If it's any consolation, I used to be awful with plants. Houseplants, garden plants - I'd forget to water stuff and it would dry out, or I'd over water and rot a cactus (actually happened). I had a rep for it and everything. My mum visited me once and saw I'd got a new plant and took it home with her. She's great with plants and had load, and she said she couldn't leave it with me knowing I'd kill it. I was that bad.

Then I got determined to get better at gardening, because I finally rented a place with a garden I could overhaul. Something just clicked after I did a lot of reading, and practiced on outdoor plants. Now I'm pretty good with plants, and I don't really know how that happened, what I did differently apart from watering when the plants needed it, and not leaving them soaking in massive puddles to rot either. Maybe the same will happen for you, and you'll develop green fingers later in life :D

Gotta be something about your water chemistry, nutrients, light... something. I don't know how to pin down what though, I'm sorry! Some plants struggle in softer water, don't they?
my GH is 90-145
pH 7.3 to 8 depending on the tank

Temperatures sit at 72 at my non heated tanks (without a heatwave) up to 82 for my bettas.

I have nitrates in my tap water too, so by all means floating plants should be happy haha.

I killed my kid's Venus fly trap. Gave the dang thing humidity, water enough to keep it perky but not soaked, in a bright window that doesn't get direct sun... lasted a week and my son was pretty devastated.

Ive killed aloe.

If its indoors, I kill it.

How's your filter set up? These floating plants hate getting wet. I know, stupid right? They are aquatic plants. But yes, the top of the plant is water sensitive, and not waterproof. Sense I am going to give advise without waiting for an answer, or being super smart, change your flow, or block off the area around your filter. Additionally, do you have a hood on your tanks? is the condensation dripping on it? Anywho, good luck, and I hope for he best. It is strange though, they grow like weeds for me.

I have this problem too but as of now I have one that is actually propagating!!! Maybe I got lucky this time. Long may it last.
We have similar Gh/ pH.
Which fertilisers do you use and how much?

This is the one that’s working at the moment:
6780CD86-2DF1-4881-B0F3-0238B322924D.jpeg
Try it, it’s listed as dwarf water lettuce (tropical not pond) ‘pistia stratiotes’

How's your filter set up? These floating plants hate getting wet. I know, stupid right? They are aquatic plants. But yes, the top of the plant is water sensitive, and not waterproof. Sense I am going to give advise without waiting for an answer, or being super smart, change your flow, or block off the area around your filter. Additionally, do you have a hood on your tanks? is the condensation dripping on it? Anywho, good luck, and I hope for he best. It is strange though, they grow like weeds for me.
I've tried them in all my tanks in different set ups. I've tried sponge filter only. I've tried HOB blocked off, ive even stuck them in a container in the window without a filter.

No hood either.

They die.

I have this problem too but as of now I have one that is actually propagating!!! Maybe I got lucky this time. Long may it last.
We have similar Gh/ pH.
Which fertilisers do you use and how much?
seachem flourish, standard dose for the tank size once a week day after water change.

This is the one that’s working at the moment:
View attachment 112814
Try it, it’s listed as dwarf water lettuce (tropical not pond) ‘pistia stratiotes’
I'll keep an eye out for that one, but ill probably kill it too. Someone local is selling some at a pretty expensive price for me to kill.

Can you get water sprite where you live? That's gone crazy in my tank.
Id have to be lucky, its not common in my locality. Ive seen it once in petsmart and it was really rough shape. I had a piece of it on my wisteria though, it died.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back