I impulse bought a sad betta...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Something I noticed this morning were worms crawling up the glass above the water line.
I have detritus worms in my other tanks, but they don't come out often. Obviously this is a makeshift set up, and as often as I change and test the water isn't going to be as clean as a cycled aquarium with an airpump.
I'll do a water change and remove everything for a cleaning later, but my question is what kind of worms are they? They look thicker then detritus worms, which makes me think of planaria. Could they hurt the betta? There's also no extra food for them to eat, as whatever the betta doesn't eat in one session I siphon out.
The link shows a video of the worms

Those worms really do not look like planaria/flat worms...they look very much like tubifex worms from the blurry video.
Regardless, they indicate a serious problem with tank hygiene. ;)
Thank you, I just haven't seen these before.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
That's what I've been doing and the tank is still full of worms.
I'll try to stay more on top of it. I think I'll take the gravel out later and really clean it, and maybe move this betta into a larger container.
I'm ordering a new tank and filter tonight, I'll take filter media from another established tank to get the bacteria going.
Weird thing is the ammonia is still at 0, but obviously there's very little water movement, so no aeration. I'm thinking that might be the issue.

On the plus side the betta is doing much better. He's active and eats all he can get, I'm going to get him some different live foods to try, although right now he's being picky.

Thank you, I just haven't seen these before.

That's what I've been doing and the tank is still full of worms.
I'll try to stay more on top of it. I think I'll take the gravel out later and really clean it, and maybe move this betta into a larger container.
I'm ordering a new tank and filter tonight, I'll take filter media from another established tank to get the bacteria going.
Weird thing is the ammonia is still at 0, but obviously there's very little water movement, so no aeration. I'm thinking that might be the issue.

On the plus side the betta is doing much better. He's active and eats all he can get, I'm going to get him some different live foods to try, although right now he's being picky.
For a brief while, once you have your bigger tank, I'd suggest putting the Betta in that tank without the substrate. Then you could go nuts with a proprietary worm killer, in the old tank, to rid your substrate of worm, without losing the beneficial bacteria. You can then put the Betta in a bucket whilst you properly aquascape your new tank.

Maybe the worms came in with those little bubble things.
I think I would have probably taken them out.

Regardless he already looks so much better I think he's going to be fine!!!

Every time I've use salt on a betta they have improved. Salt is an extremely powerful substance. 😉

You're obviously very devoted to him and I do believe that even things that you can't see are healing...devotion, love, care... Etc.

I actually make it a point to a avoid the betta section.
There are so many I see and I just can't I just can't I cannot. And I continue to tell that to myself as I quickly walk by!

My Bettas only ate pellets...never would touch flakes. As a treat, I occasionally fed freeze dried bloodworms but they are not very nutritious.

If you are feeding the fish dry food like flakes, reduce the amount you feed them. Uneaten food will sink to the bottom of the tank and feed the worms. If the food isn't removed regularly, it can pollute the water and cause the worms to mass migrate out of the substrate.

The worms are gone.
First it was weird, most of the worms had gone back down into the soil after I got home from work yesterday. I still cleaned the tank, and I moved the betta temporarily into a larger bowl to give him more room. I washed some of the floating plants, the java fern root, the moss balls, and the hide and put them in with him, but no substrate.
I'm thinking the worms live in this kind of substrate and were introduced when I started using it because I'd never seen them before and now they're in all my tanks, they're manageable in the other ones thanks to the cycled filters and carnivorous fish, but this betta has no interest in them.
Maybe the worms came in with those little bubble things.
I think I would have probably taken them out.

Regardless he already looks so much better I think he's going to be fine!!!

Every time I've use salt on a betta they have improved. Salt is an extremely powerful substance. 😉

You're obviously very devoted to him and I do believe that even things that you can't see are healing...devotion, love, care... Etc.

I actually make it a point to a avoid the betta section.
There are so many I see and I just can't I just can't I cannot. And I continue to tell that to myself as I quickly walk by!
I threw them out. I kept them originally because I thought they might make him feel comfortable, but they're gone now.
Yes he's doing really good, I need to get more pictures, it looks like his fins are starting to regrow already.
And I know exactly what you mean, I only saw this guy because I went in to get a very specific betta for a five gallon tank, otherwise I can't. I wish I could get a bunch of them in a huge tank but that would end badly for obvious reasons lol
My Bettas only ate pellets...never would touch flakes. As a treat, I occasionally fed freeze dried bloodworms but they are not very nutritious.
This guy is weird. He loves the pellets and will eat all he can get, I only give him one at a time until his belly is visible to avoid overfeeding him. He won't touch bloodworms or flakes, which isn't so odd, but he also has no interest in any live food I've offered.
I'm thinking they fed him pellets at the store and at the breeder, and so he never learned to eat anything else.
That or he's just super picky.
But I'll take what I can get considering he wouldn't eat at all his first few days with me.
If you are feeding the fish dry food like flakes, reduce the amount you feed them. Uneaten food will sink to the bottom of the tank and feed the worms. If the food isn't removed regularly, it can pollute the water and cause the worms to mass migrate out of the substrate.
I'll definitely be more vigilant about uneaten food, I thought I was doing decent, but when I cleaned the tank I found some uneaten pellets.

Thanks everybody!

The worms are gone.
First it was weird, most of the worms had gone back down into the soil after I got home from work yesterday. I still cleaned the tank, and I moved the betta temporarily into a larger bowl to give him more room. I washed some of the floating plants, the java fern root, the moss balls, and the hide and put them in with him, but no substrate.
I'm thinking the worms live in this kind of substrate and were introduced when I started using it because I'd never seen them before and now they're in all my tanks, they're manageable in the other ones thanks to the cycled filters and carnivorous fish, but this betta has no interest in them.

I threw them out. I kept them originally because I thought they might make him feel comfortable, but they're gone now.
Yes he's doing really good, I need to get more pictures, it looks like his fins are starting to regrow already.
And I know exactly what you mean, I only saw this guy because I went in to get a very specific betta for a five gallon tank, otherwise I can't. I wish I could get a bunch of them in a huge tank but that would end badly for obvious reasons lol

This guy is weird. He loves the pellets and will eat all he can get, I only give him one at a time until his belly is visible to avoid overfeeding him. He won't touch bloodworms or flakes, which isn't so odd, but he also has no interest in any live food I've offered.
I'm thinking they fed him pellets at the store and at the breeder, and so he never learned to eat anything else.
That or he's just super picky.
But I'll take what I can get considering he wouldn't eat at all his first few days with me.

I'll definitely be more vigilant about uneaten food, I thought I was doing decent, but when I cleaned the tank I found some uneaten pellets.

Thanks everybody!
Progress pictures please.
When you're ready; no pressure 😉

Progress pictures please.
When you're ready; no pressure 😉
Hey, sorry for the wait.
The sad betta is doing great. No new worms. I have almost no doubt this guy will make a full recovery.
I bought him a tank. It's the 3 gallon version of my 5 gallon, since both tanks will be side by side in my room I wanted them to match. I'll upgrade it if I ever feel like he needs more space but for now he is pretty small and shy, I think he appreciates the smaller space. No substrate yet, he has his hide, three moss balls, some water spangles as floating plants, and a java fern root.
He eats readily, but still only pellets, won't touch anything else. He has a bit more shape now, I feed him one pellet at a time and stop when his belly is visible, then I wait until it is no longer visible to feed again, usually once in the morning and night.

This was him in his temporary bowl-

This is his new 3 gallon, unfurnished so far. I feel like I'm seeing a little bit of fin growth, but his colors are definitely brighter. Any thoughts on helping his fins develop? All I'm doing is focusing on water quality, I'll be planting this aquarium in a week or two.

Here are just some pics of him, sorry if they are hard to make out, he is very shy and doesn't hold still. I lure him out with food and he runs away as soon as he is finished. If I sit quietly a few feet away he eventually comes out and swims like a normal betta, but if I startle him at all he darts back into his hide. When I am not actively working on the tank or feeding him, I keep him covered with a towel.
20211123_224916.jpg
20211123_224921.jpg
20211125_223929.jpg
20211125_223906.jpg

Also, anyone have any ideas for a name?
My other bettas have had pop/punk themed names (Mr. BRIGHTSIDE, Agony, Helena, etc.) Right now I'm going between Monroe (short for Monroeville), Ohio, or Hero (My Heroine). I wanna keep with the theme of taking inspiration from my favorite music, but I think this guy deserves something special.
Not important, but if anyone has any ideas feel free to share!
Thanks again!

I do love this little guy, something about him is so personable. I think once he gets more comfortable and less nervous around me he'll be one of those fish that almost bonds with you.
Even now it's like he is curious, but also terrified of everything. Once the tank is planted he'll do better for sure.

I like the little hideaway you have in your tank. Bettas like to hide at night.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back