I have fry!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sylvan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm quite happy right now because it feels like something is finally going right with my tanks. I did the water change today on the 110 litre tank upstairs and as I was inspecting my handiwork from where I've rearranged some things and added new plants, I noticed a little speck moving round. On closer inspection I spotted 2 little fry swimming around. I'm not sure who's they are and I doubt they'll survive to adulthood but I'm still very pleased at the sight of them.

Congrats on your fish babies! It’s always amazing when you see fry in a tank, unless your near overstock levels. Ha ha. :yahoo:

Fry are tender and delicious so 8 out of 10 times they become a snack for bigger fish, event their parents ,,, unless there's lots of cover or are rescued.

Get a breeding net and put the babies in it with some floating plants and see what happens.

Fry are tender and delicious so 8 out of 10 times they become a snack for bigger fish, event their parents ,,,
And the other 2 out of 10 times, Abbey's Dad eats them :)

Congrats on your fish babies! It’s always amazing when you see fry in a tank, unless your near overstock levels. Ha ha. :yahoo:
Thanks, I'm very happy to see them.
Fry are tender and delicious so 8 out of 10 times they become a snack for bigger fish, event their parents ,,, unless there's lots of cover or are rescued.
I fully expect them to become snacks, there is cover but probably not enough and they're so small rescuing them would be difficult plus I've not really got anywhere for them to go.

And the other 2 out of 10 times, Abbey's Dad eats them :)
HA HA You so funny! I like seafood, but for FW, I catch and release (when I don't get skunked). As for tropical fish in the aquarium, I grow out fry and sell them (I'm in the hundreds now!).

I have one fry survive about every month or so - I have cholla wood that they like to hide in. They can dart in and out of the holes and the bigger fish can't, although one time a small zebra danio swam up through the open end and got stuck - LOL. I was looking at the tank and saw something inside there wiggling - I was able to gently shake him out. He must have chased a fry in there and got stuck. Right now I have 5 fry of various ages - from about a few months to a few weeks - all platys.

I'm not sure who's they are, I suspect they're CPD fry as I'd noticed one of the males had become quite aggressive over a load of moss that's in there which is why the chilli rasbora are coming out of that tank as that's also their favourite spot and their numbers have dropped again since he started claiming that area.

CPD are not protective of their fry (although they may be protective of their food :)).
CPD fry are relatively easy to spot because they move in the same way as adults with that funny jerky movement.

CPD are not protective of their fry (although they may be protective of their food :)).
CPD fry are relatively easy to spot because they move in the same way as adults with that funny jerky movement.
I don't think he was protecting the fry, rather the good spawning spot. They do like their food, they're little gannets when food goes in.

I haven't seen the fry again so they're either hiding or been eating, I suspect the latter but as I said I'm not too fussed by it, I'm just happy that fry appeared.
I moved the chilli rasbora out today as I lost another 3 within 24/48 hours, one I suspected would die as it looked pretty battered but the other 2 were a bit of a surprise and the others looked very stressed. I'd been holding off moving them as when they first started getting bullied I had nowhere for them to go and I was trying to work out where I could fit another tank but then with the 2 Bettas dying I decided to move them into the divided tank, however I wanted to wait until I was completely happy the white spot had gone. With finding the 3 dead chillies I decided to move them a bit sooner than planned. I did want to wait another week but I think if I had done I would have none left and it has been over a week since I last saw any trace of the white spot so down they came.
They look so much better already, colour has started to come back, some of them were very pale they were so stressed and already they look more red after just a few hours. They've essentially got 5 gallons to themselves as they can fit between the gaps in the divider so they're enjoying the middle and right end sections of the tank and have been swimming back and forth between the 2. So far they haven't attempted to go left into Triton's part of the tank. They did eye it up but decided against it when he appeared by the divider. That was another reason I was waiting as I wanted to pick up some more filter media bags to create a permeable barrier so they can't get in with him and I just haven't had chance to get to my LFS. We were debating getting another Betta but seeing how much better the chillies are doing already we're going to leave it as is and let them have the two sections to themselves while I decide on new tank mates for the tank upstairs.

Wow they must be really timid to be bullied by CPD. I have bever kept them but have occasionally resisted the temptation to add some to my tank with CPD. Guess I had better stop thinking about it.

Wow they must be really timid to be bullied by CPD. I have bever kept them but have occasionally resisted the temptation to add some to my tank with CPD. Guess I had better stop thinking about it.

I have 15 CPD which by my very amateurish sexing are mostly female with at most 5 males but there is a pair of males that were nicknamed very early on "The Kray twins" as they are very similar in size and were always displaying at each other and sparring. It's one of those 2 that moved into the chillies spot and has been bullying them with the other one coming in occasionally to try to take the spot. I've got one larger male who they will chase off quite happily. I did read one webpage buried in Google when I was looking for sexing information on them that said very occasionally some males can get very territorial and with my luck I've got one who is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back