I have been dealing with ich but my tetras fins aren't looking that healthy during heat treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi, sorry to hear this, heat is the best thing and salt to get rid of it, or heat alone, I have had to a few times and cleared it right up with this method, though I have heard of ich strains that are hardier than others when succumbing to heat.
I'm a little worried about the amount of fish you have in the 40L, I can see what you have in your signature and then you mention the pleco may have introduced it, do you know what type? even a bristlenose which is small as an adult will be too big for a 40L once fully grown : (

Hi, sorry to hear this, heat is the best thing and salt to get rid of it, or heat alone, I have had to a few times and cleared it right up with this method, though I have heard of ich strains that are hardier than others when succumbing to heat.
I'm a little worried about the amount of fish you have in the 40L, I can see what you have in your signature and then you mention the pleco may have introduced it, do you know what type? even a bristlenose which is small as an adult will be too big for a 40L once fully grown : (
Okay well nice to have your opinion as well, they were all happy pre-ich, and I was very open with the fish stores about what equipment I have and they said it was okay when I went to get new fish, that's what I based my numbers on.

you can try moving the fish into a clean container and flushing out the main tank, you will have to keep treating them, but there will be fewer parasites to infect them. However, in a day or two the spots should drop off and the new parasites should die a couple of days after that. then the fish should be better.

doing a 90% water change and gravel clean each day for a few days might help too if there are white spot cysts on the bottom of the tank. just make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine, and has the same temp as the tank, before it's added to the tank.

I was very open with the fish stores about what equipment I have and they said it was okay when I went to get new fish, that's what I based my numbers on.
Never ever believe what a fish store worker says. Most of them don't have a clue and will make up any rubbish. Always do your own research. Just about the best website for fish research is Seriously Fish. Anyone can set up a website or post YouTube videos with no actual knowledge. Seriously Fish is written by experts.
Here is their profile for black phantom tetras
As you can see, they need a much bigger tank than 40 litres.

You have mentioned in another thread that you also have 4 guppies and 3 cories - do you still have these fish?
Guppies are OK in 40 litres, but depending on the species of cory, they may need a bigger tank. And all cories need to be in a bigger group. If the fish shop told you three would be OK that's another example of poor information, I'm afraid.

A 40 litre tank can be successfully stocked. But don't listen to any shop about which fish are suitable.

Never ever believe what a fish store worker says. Most of them don't have a clue and will make up any rubbish. Always do your own research. Just about the best website for fish research is Seriously Fish. Anyone can set up a website or post YouTube videos with no actual knowledge. Seriously Fish is written by experts.
Here is their profile for black phantom tetras
As you can see, they need a much bigger tank than 40 litres.

You have mentioned in another thread that you also have 4 guppies and 3 cories - do you still have these fish?
Guppies are OK in 40 litres, but depending on the species of cory, they may need a bigger tank. And all cories need to be in a bigger group. If the fish shop told you three would be OK that's another example of poor information, I'm afraid.

A 40 litre tank can be successfully stocked. But don't listen to any shop about which fish are suitable.
Okay, fair enough I will check it out! I did a lot of research into the parameters of the water etc and from here on out I am going to stock guppies in this tank, looking for a larger tank too atm for when I move, the employee at pets at home was very knowledgeable on the care of all the species she sold me, it wasn't like she didn't know what she was saying and that's why I have what I have now, its unfortunate, a good learning curve, thanks for the website, I haven't seen it before and will give it a good read.

Pets at Home have just about the worst reputation in the country when it comes to fish knowledge. Though a lot of small, fish only shops are as bad.

Pets at Home have just about the worst reputation in the country when it comes to fish knowledge. Though a lot of small, fish only shops are as bad.
Okay I wont take their word ever again, quickly learning new things here hahaha, I always wonder though, why is it okay for shops display tanks to be so packed with little to no decor ??

Shop tanks are only temporary. They hope the fish will sell quickly or they don't make any money. Our tanks are different, they are fish's permanent home and they could be there for years. So we should make their home as 'comfortable' for them as we can.

Shop tanks are only temporary. They hope the fish will sell quickly or they don't make any money. Our tanks are different, they are fish's permanent home and they could be there for years. So we should make their home as 'comfortable' for them as we can.
Yea I will do anything to make sure my fish are comfortable, unfortunately i was given bad information from someone that should be trusted, lessons learned, excited to set up a new larger tank when I can

It's a steep learning curve. The people you would expect to be experts aren't, unfortunately. You are not the first and you won't be the last to believe them. I suspect that most of us on here have fallen foul of poor store advice, I certainly have. The important thing is to learn from it :)

It's a steep learning curve. The people you would expect to be experts aren't, unfortunately. You are not the first and you won't be the last to believe them. I suspect that most of us on here have fallen foul of poor store advice, I certainly have. The important thing is to learn from it :)
Exactly ! Places like this are so important, glad ive found this community

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back